Chapter 21

"The food was amazing!" One of my coworkers say as they leave the reception.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. See you tomorrow." I say shaking his hand then watching him leave. The whole day went by so fast. The crowd showed up, my baby and I got baptized, I got confirmed and received communion, and now we are here ending the reception.

The room is decorated with lights and streamers thanks to Danny's amazing skills. The food was catered by a popular sub shop and every table was decorated matching the streamers.

My mom and sister had to leave right after they ate because they needed to get to work, but I did see my mom having a soft conversation with my dad. No tears, no yelling or screaming, they just stood there exchanging kind words.

My dad was a little late so we had no time for hello's as he stood next to me while I was being baptized. He kept his distance all day letting me talk to all of my friends and coworkers. But during the seconds where someone wasn't talking I would peek at him. His hair had gotten slightly longer with a bit of grey in it but the color still matched mine. He had shaved his beard making him look a few years younger but the slightly dark circles told me he still worked late nights. He still has a small slouch, but even from across the room I could tell he was taller than me.

At one point I did see my sister drag him out of the room probably to interrogate him. While being pulled by the arm he had looked my way. We had caught each other's eyes and he gave a soft smile before my sister took him through the door.

Now that the room is clearing there are only a couple people left to talk to before I would face him. Then Danny walked up to me. "You look like you want this to be over. You okay?" She asks. Her arm links through mine casually and she looks around the room with me.

I sigh, "To be honest I don't want this to end..." she looked up at me unconvinced. "But I do want to talk to my dad, without being interrupted by someone leaving." I say and she nods.

"I was wondering why you two weren't talking." She says and I can sense the question underneath the statement.

"It's a long story." I say. Danny looks at me for another second then unhooks her arm and places her hand in my shoulder.

"And not one you want to explain right now, I get it. I'll make sure you get talking to him soon though." She says and before I can say anything she walks away and picks up a few things off of a table. I notice my coworkers watching her. They mumble a few things to each other then they turn to me.

"I think we are going to head home Ryan. Congrats on everything." One of them says. I nod, shake there hands then they leave. Smart Danny. Acting like she's cleaning everything up just so they'd leave. After a few more farewells it's just me, Danny and my dad left.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom." Danny whispers with a wink.

"Wait." I say grabbing her wrist before she could slip away. "Just give us a few minutes then come back... I want to introduce you." I add. Danny blushes slightly then nods and heads out the door. I turn and face my dad. His hands are in his pockets as he walks up to me.

"Coworker?" He asks looking over my shoulder at Danny and I give a chuckle.

"Yeah, I'll introduce her when she comes back." It's only awkward for a second, but it's too long and to make it go away I step forward. He quickly copies my steps and we wrap our arms around each other. It's a tight embrace. One that I've been waiting for. I place my head on his shoulder and he kind of sags into me as well.

"I'm sorry." He says quietly. "For everything."

All I can do is nod and mutter a "me too".

"I'm proud of you Ryan, I want you to know that. After everything you've been through I can see the man you wanted me to see. Confident and strong." He says. We pull away then I lead him over to the little stroller that I had placed Ella in while I said goodbyes.