Chapter 15

The next couple hours were agony. Nurses run back and forth through the room and Dr. Hansel says many calming and encouraging words to Kylee as she pushes. Kylee has both Jase's and my hand in her grasp. We are both standing and taking turns saying encouraging things and giving each other slightly frightened looks.

Every time Kylee yells a curse word I see the nurses try to hold in their laughter and Dr. Hansel says more calming words. "Come on Kylee. You're so close. Try another push. Come on, one more." Every time the doctor says this Kylee's strength seems to reappear. She grits her teeth, holds her breath, and pushes like her life depends on it.

"Head in view!" Dr. Hansel says and Kylee lets out a cheerful cry, but with that in her mind she pushes harder. Dr. Hansel's face is in full concentration mode and it seems like his mind is nowhere but on that baby.

"Keep going Kylee." I say leaning over placing my free hand on the pillow behind her head. My heart rate is unhealthily fast and I can feel myself being on the verge of tears. Kylee grits her teeth then takes a small break.

Her breath is shaky and I take this small moment to wipe her forehead. Before we know it she takes in another breath and continues. Jase has his free hand on the back of Kylee's head trying to take some of the effort of lifting her head away. His head is close to Kylee whispering every now and then in her ear.

With every push the nurses become more ready. They have all the tools ready for the doctor's use and anything that baby will need at the ready. With all my might I keep myself from peeking and looking at how far along the baby is and how beautiful the baby is.

My hands remains in Kylee's. My fingers are purple and I can't feel my fingertips, but every moment is worth it. Every second that passes by is a second closer to seeing our baby. A second closer to being a true father.

"A couple is outside saying they know you." Says one of the nurses in my ear. "Mr. and Mrs. Martin?" It's Cole and Lauren.

"Ah yes, I know them. Could you give them the progress and maybe an estimated birth time?" I ask and she nods heading to the door. Through the small window I see Lauren looking at me and waving. Her hair is in a messy bun and she still wears her pajamas. I return my focus to Kylee just in time for Dr. Hansel to announce that the head is fully visible.

"Kylee I need you to give me one more BIG push." Dr. Hansel says and that's all it took. A second later the nurses are moving at once with a blanket. The doctor did a few more things then handed a red little baby with a full head of hair to the nurse next to him.

After a lot of shuffling around and cleaning they hand a bundle of blankets to Kylee. "Oh my-" Kylee says looking down at the baby. "I'm-I'm sorry." She says covering her eyes with a spare hand and leaning her head back into the pillows. She takes a couple seconds to let the tears out then looks back down.

I keep my distance and look from afar. I look as Jase leans in and plays with the baby's hair. If someone was looking in from outside they would see a happy couple sharing a moment with their new child... then they would see a brother? Cousin? Or whatever they thought I was.

Kylee kisses the baby and holds the infants hand in hers. Then she looks over at me and gives a weak smile. The tears on her cheeks glistening as her cheekbones raise. "Come on." She says quietly and slightly out of breath.

My heart rate quickens and I take a couple hesitant steps towards Kylee. Before I reach the side of the bed I see a tiny hand shoot from the blanket towards the ceiling. Then the faintest cry sounds and I stop in my tracks. Hearing the baby cry makes my heart shatter and I fall into the nearest chair as my legs fail to support me. I place my face in my hands and now it's my turn to cry.