Chapter 10

After a couple of weeks of hearing nothing from Kylee my phone wakes me up with her ringtone. "Hey." I say. I try to make it seem like I was awake but my voice comes out tired and rough.

"I woke you up didn't I?" Kylee says quietly.

"Yeah, but I was going to wake up sooner or later. What's up?" I ask. There is a pause then I hear a sliding door close on the other end, then she responds.

"Uh, it's about the baby. About what you said..." she says.

"I'm guessing you've thought about it. Did you talk to Jase about it?"

"Last night I did. He wasn't thrilled about it, but he knows I'm not ready and neither is he. I'm not saying that you are ready either, but you have a steady job and some good friends to help you out..." I hear her voice crack a couple times.

"Hey, how about we meet up... yeah?" I ask softly.

"You have work."

"I can call in. Trust me, my boss is laid back with this stuff." I say and she agrees. We plan to meet up in 30 minutes at the coffee shop Lauren's sister works at.

Then I sit up in bed and call Michael.

"Kylee and I need to talk. Is it okay if I come in the afternoon?" I ask.

"Ryan. You haven't taken a single day off in the 2 months you've been working. Just take the day off." Michael says.

"It's Monday though. Are you sure?"

"Yeah. We canceled the morning meeting anyway because two employees got the flu. Today is just a chill day at work." He responds.

I agree and before hanging up Michael insists that I get full trust from Kylee and that I take good care of the situation. Then I put on some casual clothes and head to the apartment lobby.

On my way down Lauren calls me. "Hey I was about to-" I start to say, but she cuts me off.

"Kylee is here... at my sisters coffee shop that is. She says she's meeting up with you... she looks kinda rough." Lauren says.

"Wait she's there already?" I look at my watch. I still have ten minutes to get there.

"Yeah. Is something up?"

I forgot to tell Cole and Lauren about the situation...

"Kind of. Hey I've got to go. Can I come over to your house later?" I ask.

"Yeah, sure. Cole will be home at 5. Come for dinner." Then I hang up and grab my bike outside. Five minutes later I pull into the coffee shop parking lot. I see Kylee in a booth next to the window. She sees me and does a small wave. I smile back and walk inside.

"Hey." I say sitting down.

"Hey."

Lauren wasn't completely wrong when she said Kylee looks rough, but behind the bags under her eyes and the redness in them I see the soft Kylee. The one who takes her pills responsibly and takes care of herself. I see the Kylee I first started dating. The shy, introvert Kylee.

"You look tired." I say.

"I am. I've been trying to sleep better, but last night was tough."

"Was it because of the conversation you had with Jase?" I ask.

"No." She looks down.

"The baby?"

"... I think so." Kylee rubs the back of her neck then Lauren walks up with a coffee cup. She sets it in front of Kylee who smiles at her.