7. New friends

The procession arrived at their destination high up in the Nidavellir mountains. Alvida laid her eyes on a new campsite. But this one was more solid. Several small huts and a kitchen area with a fireplace and a large wooden table and benches.

While the coachman tied the horse to a tree and gave it some food and water, Alvida followed Galder to the camp. He was carrying a large stuffed sack on his back which he put in one of the cottages. 

"How many of these camps are there?" She asked annoyed as Galder came back out.

This was sick. She was definitely addressing this to her father first thing when she came home.

"I'm not sure. I know of twelve at least," Galder answered.

"What? This is unbelievable."

Galder looked confused, but Alvida continued.

"How can the police or the armies not know about this. It's disgusting. Criminals setting up these hideouts and getting away with their evil doings."

Now Galder was annoyed.

"These places aren't primarily used by criminals," he said.

"Really? Then by whom?"

"By people who have nowhere else to go. Poor families, people who have lost their jobs. Who have lost their home in a fire, there are a million different reasons," Galder said.

Alvida felt like she had been smacked in the face. There were people so poor they had to live here?

"Don't tell me you thought everyone enjoyed the same luxury as you?" Galder looked at her with disgust.

"No... But I just figured.. "

"Have you ever asked anyone? Have you even ever wondered what it's like for people growing up outside your castle?"

Alvida didn't answer. The truth was she hadn't thought about the people outside for a second of her life. She had just assumed her father made sure his people was happy.

"Why do you think people become thieves and swindlers in the first place? They're not born that way. And it's not because of the fabulous lifestyle. It's because there are no other options. If you have to choose between scamming someone or you're children starves. I think even well-bred, adorable you would choose the first option," Galder looked genuinely upset.

Alvida still didn't have an answer. She couldn't believe what she had just learned. And she did what she always did when she felt ashamed. Turned it into anger. 

How did that slimeball dare to give her a speech about morals. She was royalty. No one talked to her like that. And he was the one kidnapping her. She was not going to let him make her feel bad. Not one bit.

"So is that why you're doing this? This honourable thing? To feed your family?" Alvida Asked.

Galder's face darkened, and he walked away.

Hah! She knew it. Someone like him couldn't possibly have a wife and kids.

The old man came Walking toward Alvida with his round belly and a nervous smile. He could look like Santa's alcoholic big brother.

He bowed and said "Hello again your Majesty." At least someone showed her some respect.

"I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry about all this. If I knew they were talking about you... I would never have accepted this job," he said with big, pale blue eyes.

 "I'm Hugin by the way," he held out a dry hand.

Alvida didn't shake it. "But you would have gladly taken the job if they were talking about any other girl?"