2

Emma stopped by Grannys again for breakfast, but was surprised to see Henry there as well.

"What are you doing here kid?" She asked sitting next to him.

"I came to ask you to stay. I need you to believe me. Just a week that's all I ask," Henry pleaded, "Please."

Emma looked at him cautiously not sure what to do. Her mistake was looking into his eyes.

She groaned, "Fine, but only a week."

"Yes! Thank you, thank you mom!" He said giving her a big hug.

"Woah woah woah ok kid. It's no big deal. Your mom's not gonna like this tho," she pointed out.

"Who cares. Once I get you to believe good will win and she will finally be defeated and everyone gets their happy ending," he replied.

"Let's just say for a second I believed you, but I don't, then not everyone gets a happy ending. What about your mom? She wouldn't be very happy," she pointed out.

"She's the Evil Queen, a villain, and villains don't get happy endings," he told her.

"Why must you keep telling our visitors lies Henry. The last thing I want is for such a beautiful woman to think ill of me," Regina said as she walked into Granny's, "Um Ruby can you get us 3 plates of Granny's world famous french toast and 3 cups of cocoa. 1 with apple spice, and 2 with cinnamon."

"How'd you know I like cinnamon with my hot chocolate?" Emma asked looking at the mayor with curiosity.

"Just a lucky guess," she added.

Henry rolled his eyes, "She knows because I like it and you're my real mom, so it only makes sense."

"She's not your mom Henry. She's just the women that gave birth to you then gave you up," Regina snapped.

Emma looked at her hurt and Regina noticed.

"I am so sorry Miss Swan. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I just- I'm very protective of my son and I'm just trying to-" Regina started.

"It's ok. You're right, you're his mom. You don't have to explain anything to me," she replied.

"No, no, I shouldn't have been so rude, please sit so we can enjoy our breakfast," the evil queen apologized.

"Um thank you," Emma said taking a seat.

Henry rolled his eyes and sat down too.

"So, Miss Swan, do you leave us today?" Regina said trying to create small talk.

"Actually I've decided to, stay a week," she informed.

"Really? Well what luck that our town will have such a beauty with us that much longer, but I hope there's no mistaken here Miss Swan you have no legal right to Henry. He is my son no matter the biology behind it all," the mayor made clear.

Emma sat stunned, "You know I don't take too kindly to taking orders. I've always been a little bit of a rebel."

Henry laughed causing both women to face him. Emma gave him a little wink while Regina scowled.

"Why don't we just eat shall we," Regina said as their food arrived.

"I think that's best Madam Mayor," Emma said as she started to eat.

As time passed Henry finished his food first and waited for his moms to finish.

"So mom?"

"Yes?" Regina said looking his way.

"Not you, Emma," he said as Emma looked up.

Regina rolled her eyes.

"Uh yeah what's up kid? And please call me Emma."

"Ok then. Emma, where's my father?" He asked.

Both Emma and Regina choked on their french toast.

"What? Was it something I said?" He questioned.

"Henry you don't just ask someone a question like that. I taught you better," Regina said.

"No it's ok. He deserves to know. Your father is... or was a firefighter. We met at a diner where I worked and he came to eat regularly. One day he didn't come back and I learned he died saving a family in a fire. Your dad was a hero," Emma explained.

Regina looked at the woman in front of her and noticed a few ticks: tone change, toe tapping, eye brow movement, lack of details... She was lying.

"Really!" Henry said happily.

Emma smiled and nodded. Regina took in a deep breath and turned to Henry, "Why don't you get to the bus. School starts soon."

"Fine," he said grabbing his things, "Bye mom. Bye Regina."

The mayor sighed in defeat, "I don't know what I did wrong."

"Hey I'm sure it's just pre-teen stuff," Emma said as she rested her hand atop of Regina's.

The mayor flinched at the unfamiliar touch of someone else's comfort. She looked at their hands and felt sort of relieved.

"Oh I'm sorry I have a soft spot for caring mothers," Emma explained as she retracted her hand, "I never had one."

"It's quite alright Miss Swan," Regina said as she clasped her hands together, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot Madam Mayor."

"Why did you lie to Henry? About his father?" She asked.

"What makes you say that?" Emma said taking a sip of cocoa.

"I'm Mayor and the mother of an 11 year old. I tend to know when people are lying," she pointed out.

"I have a similar trait. I like to call it my superpower," Emma added.

"Then you should know that I know you were lying to Henry and I want to know why," Regina prodded.

Emma crossed her arms and scowled at the mayor.

"Right. The taking orders thing," Regina said with the roll of her eyes, "Miss Swan please tell me why you are lying to my sweet boy previously ruining his mental health further should he find out?"

Emma sighed as she leaned back in her seat, "His father left me. He set me up and called the cops and he left me. I loved him and he left me to rot in a cell. I may have gave the kid up but not for any selfish reason. He needed a better chance at life, but now that he's found me, he deserves to think atleast one of his parents was a hero."

Regina noticed a tear or two fall down the blonde's cheek. She reached for a napkin and handed it to Emma who took it thankfully.

"Miss Swan he was a fool to ever let you go," Regina said as she took the blonde's hand in her own, "His loss."

Emma smiled, "You're not too bad Madam Mayor."

Regina was again shocked. No one, not even her son, ever had anything good to say about her. This compliment was new and refreshing. She liked the feeling it gave her.

"Thank you Miss Swan," Regina said with a smile.

"Please, call me Emma."

The brunette smiled, "Emma it is."