16

It had been 2 weeks since Kathryn Nolan had initially went missing and a crazy 2 weeks it was. Since the initial missing persons Kathryn has now been declared dead. Her heart was found in a box in the middle of the woods. All the evidence found pointed to Mary Margaret who was now unfortunately in the town jail. Regina had become reclusive, no one had seen her in what seemed like forever. And with all this Emma was busier than ever.

"Sheriff something trashed my trash cans last night! There is trash and debris everywhere!" Someone yelled at the town meeting.

"I was out walking in the woods and saw someone skulking about! You need to check up on this!" Another added.

"Why is the murderer still in town?"

"What does Mayor Mills have to say about this?!"

That was the last straw for Emma, "ENOUGH!" she yelled, "The Mayor isn't here. I am, and I assure you everything is under control. Mary Margaret is locked up, but more for her own safety than your own. You don't really believe that Ms. Blanchard could do such a thing? She would never hurt a fly, like actually, she insisted we catch and release the fly that got trapped in our bathroom."

"Pft, you just want to save her because she's like your bestfriend," someone said from the crowd.

"You take that back! Mary Margaret is my best friend," Ruby input.

"Look I want to save her because I'm the Sheriff and I want to find the real murderer. Every second I am forced to lock up an innocent woman the real threat is roaming around town free as a stray."

The doors swung open revealing a disheveled mayor, "Sheriff Swan is right. I have already let Mary Margaret go. Kathryn Nolan has been found safe and is awaiting recovery. She's lost her memory and doesn't recall anything after the accident. I'm pleased to announce there is no culprit here just a series of unfortunate events. Now we can all get back to our lives," she said through a fake smile the entire time.

The crowd gave a collective hum in acceptance at this news as they shuffled off. Regina gave a slight wave as they all left, eventually just leaving her and Emma.

The blonde folded her arms and approached the mayor, "Nice of you to grace us with your presence your majesty, after damn near a month."

Regina rolled her eyes, "You've handled everything fine. You didn't need me."

"Of course I needed you!"

A sparkle of anticipation arose in her eyes, unintentionally, and Emma could see it.

"I didn't mean it like that," Emma sighed out as she ran her fingers through her hair, "I meant that I'm sheriff and you're mayor. We both need the other in order for this town, the town our son lives in, to function properly."

"I know what you meant. I've just been going through some things am I not allowed to be human?"

"Regina that's not what I said. Of course you're allowed to have your off days, just maybe not for so long. This town needs you," Emma told her.

"This town hates me. I'm sure they wouldn't care if I fell off the face of the Earth," Regina joked.

Emma smiled and rolled her eyes, "Well despite our past, I would care. So don't go getting any ideas and skipping town Mayor Mills."

Regina gave a small smile in return, "No promises Miss Swan."

Both women laughed before standing awkwardly in the doorway.

"Well I better get going. Gotta check on Mary Margaret, make sure she's ok," Emma said with the turn of her heels.

"Yeah, you better go check on her. She was a little relieved but shaken when I let her go," she started to say as the blonde gave a nod in confirmation, "But before you go Emma can I ask you something?"

Emma stopped walking as she gave a half turn to slightly face the mayor, "Shoot."

Regina started to play with her fingers, "I know we ended things in what is possibly the worst way possible, but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think it was the best thing for you but most importantly Henry..."

"Regina I'm waiting for the question," the blonde retorted with a roll of her eyes.

"If something were to happen to me, would you take care of Henry?"

Emma was not expecting a question like that. She turned around completely to fully face Regina, "Of course I would. Why are you- Where is this coming from?"

Regina gave a shaky smile as her eyes glossed over, "I just want to make sure Henry's happy if something were to ever happen to me."

Emma had the urge to hug the brunette and chose to give into that urge. She quickly wrapped her arms around her tightly, "I don't know what's going on Gina but nothing's gonna happen to you."

Regina hesitantly hugged the younger woman, she missed their hugs and cuddles.

"Just a hypothetical Em, I meant nothing by it," she lied as she gave the sheriff a firm squeeze before releasing her.

Emma cocked her head, "If you say so. See you later Mayor Mills."

"See you later Sheriff Swan," Regina said as she pulled her jacket closer around her.

Emma hesitantly walked to her car and drove home. Regina seemed out of it, like something was wrong, but Emma couldn't figure out what? But she'd have to worry about her later, right now her friend needed her. She rushed through the parking lot and to the door of the loft she shared with Mary Margaret, and there in the kitchen stood the teacher with a cup of cocoa dusted with cinnamon.

"Mary Margaret," Emma said relieved beyond compare.

"Emma," the teacher said with a smile.

The two rushed to each other and hugged the other tightly/

"It's so good to see you out of that stupid cell," Emma told her.

"It's good to be out. Thanks for always believing me Emma."

The blonde smiled as they separated, "I never had a doubt. You know I always know whe-"

"Yes Emma I know, you always know when someone's lying. And I'm glad you have your super power and fought for me. How'd you get them all to believe you anyway, especially Regina," the teacher questioned.

"What do you mean? I didn't do this. I mean don't get me wrong I've been trying but this was all Regina. She said they found Kathryn so naturally you can't be a murderer because there was no murder," Emma informed.

"Ugh you mean I owe my freedom to Regina," Mary Margaret groaned.

Emma gave a slight chuckle, "Yeah it's weird isn't it. She's been acting a little different too. Today she asked me if I would take care of Henry if anything happened to her."

Miss Blanchard's eyes widened, "What did you say?"

"Well of course I would, but it's such a weird question. It makes me worried," the blonde replied.

"If I know Regina, and I do, it's probably a test of some sort. Or it's just her being dramatic," she told her roommate.

Emma shrugged, "I don't know. It sounds a lot like what some of the other kids used to say before they ran away from home. I mean they never said it to me and I never said it to anyone, cuz of the no friends things, but I've witnessed quite a number of pre-goodbyes. An older kid telling a younger kid that if I leave you gotta promise me you'll stay out of trouble. It happens a lot and each time the person ends up leaving."

"Well Regina's not a child. She's a grown woman and she would never leave Henry. She's a pain sometimes but she loves him something fierce," the brunette pointed out.

"I know I know, but I can't shake this feeling that she's about to do something either incredibly stupid or incredibly crazy."

Mary Margaret took a sip of her cocoa and gave Emma a knowing side eye, "Both of those sounds like a very Regina thing to do."