buffy keeps her cool (and she's very proud of herself)

。・:*:・゚☆

tj woke up with the worst headache of his life. it felt like someone had hit his head with a hammer, as if it was a coconut, hitting and hitting and hitting until it's split in half.
it's kind of how his heart felt, too.
the boy didn't know why he was so jealous, but could you blame him? he's never felt feelings like this before. he has no idea what he's doing.
cyrus' headache was more of a migraine, screaming and pulling on his hair like a ruthless child- it pounded like a kick drum and made him feel sick in the stomach. he, too, was upset- all the crying, of course, and over having to make up with tj. he only ever felt something like this a few years back, but it was never this strong. this is a whole new level.
they're both having a hard time, to make a long story short.

and buffy, with all her sixth sense, woke up with a bad feeling.

"hey, marty," she shook the boy beside her awake, "where are cyrus and kippen?"

"went to bed early las' night," marty mumbled sleepily, his eyes barely even open.

"did they seem upset?"

"mhm."

"shit." the girl spring off the couch and beelined for her best friend's room, not even giving a thought to how tj might be feeling.

that fucking asshole, buffy fumed silently.

she reached the periwinkle blue door that her, andi, and cyrus painted back in fourth grade on a boring summer day when they had nowhere to go, and she knocked softly.

"cy?"

"who is it?"

"it's buffy," she replied, her voice soft enough to lull a baby to sleep. she always knew she had to be gentle when he was upset. "can i please come in?"

"y-yeah, i guess so."

her fingers reached swiftly for the doorknob and twisted it, and she walked in on a puffy-eyed cyrus. his lips were dry and his cheeks were burning red from the irritation of constantly rubbing tears away.

"oh, gosh, cyrus," she rushed to his bed and smoothed out the covers for him before sitting, "what happened last night?"

he sat in front of her with his sad, chocolate eyes, and he let out a heavy breath.
then he started to cry.

"oh, what did he do to you?" she asked as cyrus collapsed into her arms.

"h-he was s-so mad, and i just- i c-couldn't take it, i just," he heaved, "b-buffy, i like him so much, b-but he hates me!"

"shh, shh, it's gonna be okay," buffy cooed, but quite distractedly; she had something new to process now.

cyrus admitted he likes tj.

woah.

"cy, you like him? for real?"

"don't say anything mean." cyrus pulled away from her, wiping his eyes roughly.

"of course i won't. i'm just surprised," she shook her head, squeezing the boy's hand, "i guess it makes sense, though."

"why?"

"he's totally into you." buffy scoffed.

"no he's not. if he was, he wouldn't have been such a dick to me last night."

"what did he say?" buffy spoke sternly, feeling the anger already starting to rise in her throat.

"nothing. he said nothing. and that's why he's a dick."

"i need you to explain."

cyrus took a deep breath, trying to settle the rattling in his chest, and then he did as she asked.

"we were having so much fun. i made myself look good just for him, and i tried to be cute all night, and he won me that stupid elephant over there," his hand pointed shakily to the object in the corner, "and he just started ignoring me, and he knows how i overthink everything, and he was rude and short and he didn't even care that he was acting like he hated me and when i told him how i felt he didn't even give a good apology!"

buffy clenched her fists, her head threatening to burst, "what the fuck is his problem?"

"buffy, calm down-"

"no, he can't just treat you like that! any guy would be insane to treat you like that! he needs to learn his lesson!"

"it's not your problem to solve, buffy."

he hugged her with a soft, "thank you," and he stood up, pulling some fresh clothes from his drawer and walking towards the bathroom to change.
i think he just ended the conversation. that's new, the girl thought.
buffy sat and waited, and then when he was ready, they walked to the stairs together.

"don't tell anyone, okay?" cyrus begged, "i'll handle it."

"okay."

they made their way downstairs to their friends, who were now bustling in a quiet conversation; they looked worried.

"hey guys," cyrus smiled.

"cyrus, why did tj leave?" andi asked. the whole group stared at him with confused eyes, and he felt like he couldn't breathe.

"he left?"

"just a few minutes ago." marty answered.

buffy and cyrus shared a look, and cyrus nodded, knowing exactly what she was trying to say.

"i'll be right back." the boy blurted out and ran for the door, leaving buffy to entertain his house guests while he made his way to tj.