muffins are tj and cyrus' version of the jandi bracelet

。・:*:・゚☆

"marty, stop!" buffy grumbled angrily as her boy threw yet another perfect basket.

"sorry, i'm just better!"

"are not!" buffy punched his arm, smiling softly.

the two were now transitioning into their fifth game of one-on-one in the park when cyrus came running in all his lanky-legged glory.

"buffy!" he squeaked, stopping at her feet and collapsing on the ground.

"what's wrong?"

"what do i do?" he stared up at the blue sky with dreamy eyes, "i feel like my chest is glowing!"

"what?" marty laughed, earning yet another, more aggressive punch in the shoulder from his girlfriend.

"what are you talking about cyrus?" buffy sat down beside him, raising an eyebrow at his soft expression.

"tj."

"what about him?"

"i like him!"

"that's not news to me,"

"no! i- ugh. i like him, like, i-wanna-be-with-him like him!" cyrus sat up and frowned at her.

"so ask him out. he already kissed you, you think he's gonna reject you?"

"what if it's like," cyrus paused, nerves climbing up his throat like spiders, "what if he just wants to be friends that hold hands sometimes?" he mumbled almost inaudibly.

"tj doesn't want that, cy."

"how do you know?"

"you're really gonna test my sixth sense right now?" buffy glared.

"don't even try, cy," marty chimed in.

"jeez, okay, okay," cyrus giggled, "i won't."

"just go talk to him about it."

"talking is scary,"

"it's better than not talking at all." buffy wrapped an arm around his shoulders and leaned her head on his. she knew it calmed him down to be held close.

"you're right."

"i know."

cyrus wriggled out of buffy's grasp and slipped his phone out of his pocket. he opened his messages with tj and sent a quick, "hang at the café in 10?"

buffy smirked and leaped onto her feet, snatching the ball from her boyfriend's hands and resuming their game. she never saw cyrus get up and leave the court after tj replied seconds later with a short and sweet, "on my way."

。・:*:・゚☆

tj sat quietly, "blackbird" by the beatles blasting in his ears; he took a deep breath and tried to stop nervously twiddling his fingers while he opened his eyes. he kept reminding himself cyrus wanted to meet just to hang out, but the thought of being with him for something so simple and common still made the boy deathly nervous. he took a sip of his iced coffee and glanced around at the red and cozy interior, the couples holding hands, the workers making small talk, and listened to the soft guitar of the song in his ears. he only paused the music when the boy he was here for walked through the door.