Unexpected

He saved me from my fall.

He's a stranger, and I don't know why he risked his life just to pull me off that road. Though there is one thing I'm sure of, and that is I intend to die.

My eyes started to water as I saw the flat line from the patient monitor. The doctors did their part to revive him but to no avail, he's not breathing anymore.

"Time of death, 9:07 pm."

The doctors looked at me with sympathy on their eyes as if they're sensing my ultimate breakdown. "We're very sorry for your loss, Mrs. Andrew Williams. Any moment later we'll carry your husband's body to the morgue. Please help us fill up some important documents for the death certificate of the decedent."

I could not process everything properly what they are saying to me. My brain fuzzes, and I tightly closed my eyes to pull myself altogether.

W-why am I here? What is this place? My head churns as my confusion worsened and I badly want to seek the help of these people wearing uniforms but they are about to leave. I looked at the man lying on the single bed and I come close to him watching him sleep peacefully.

"Who are you?" I asked, but I guess he didn't hear me. I smiled, for a flash of a memory came back; he is holding my hand. This man surely knows everything about me.

I don't know how many moments have passed but it seems like I am enjoying my stay here. The silence, with him. There's no other place I could be more comfortable than here.

I tried to hold his hand, and I didn't expected it was that cold. A tear had escaped from my eye as I realized that he is now a dead body after all. I slowly loosened the grip I made on his hand intertwining our fingers and placed my hand in front of my mouth to secrete my loud cries.

Why am I crying when I don't even know this man? Why is my heart at pain and... regrets? I don't understand everything.

The girl I saw earlier from this room entered and she noticed my very awkward state. "I'm so sorry, I can't stop crying." I apologized, quite ashamed for being oblivious to the possibility that she might be a relative to the victim.

She just smiled kindly and handed me a wallet and a ring. "This is your husband's belongings we got from his clothes that he wore awhile ago. As his widowed wife, you have all the rights to keep these. My deepest condolences, Mrs. Williams."

All my hopes have sunk as I learned what the truth is. I wearily opened his wallet to find out our small-sized wedding picture inside. On the back there's a written note that says:

"I love you, my wife. Even if you can't remember me everyday. I will love you always."

I am his wife. I smiled at pure happiness at the bittersweet thought of him laying his life for me. And my heart wrenched at the same time.

I looked at the girl who seems bewildered at my sudden expression and confidently I say, "I will forever love this man."

Though, my sanity would still wither. I will hope that my expectation to forget will fail me some time.