occasional downfall

Claudia's POV

I could feel everyone stare at us. Daniel and I were walking hand in hand, advancing towards the school doors.

It's been 2 months since we began dating. Wow, dating. It's still a foreign word to me.

I didn't like the attention one bit, all eyes were so calculating that it took me all my willpower not to put a paper bag over my head.

"Woah!" I cried

I tripped on my shoelace, overthinking is the death of me.

Daniel, like quick-reflexed person that he is, enclosed my waist with his arm before the floor greeted my face with a smack.

I tucked pieces of hair that fell from the bun. I awkwardly fidgeted with my shoes, not knowing how to react, of course, I flushed a bright red.

Daniel bent down and tied my shoelaces.

"Oh Gosh, um, don't!" I whisper yelled

I tried to pry his hands off of my shoes but he remained. He stood up, meeting my eyes.

"I've got you." He said

He gently squeezed my hand for support, he must have seen how uncomfortable I was in the limelight, he could see right through me, it was a sweet yet dangerous thing.

--

Before class started, I went to the ladies' room and 'powdered my nose' - whatever the code name for pee is.

I was about to emerge from the cubicle when I hear a couple of girls gossiping. Naturally, I wouldn't have paid them no mind but my name and Daniel's were involved in their conversation, I couldn't help but be curious.

"I still can't believe Daniel chose her."

"I know, right? All she can do is ace tests but apart from that? nothing."

"What happens when they break up?"

"She'll be so hated, she'll have to migrate." The other said seriously

Both girls said 'yeah'  in chorus. I wanted to scream and make them stop but what stopped me was how true  their words were.

What will happen if they break up? Every one will think she deserves it and hate her 'til the end of time. Daniel has nothing to lose, she will lose everything. How can a girl with basically nothing even lose anything at all? That was the sad part, if what they had would end tragically, her life would never be the same.

I love him, I do, but is it strong enough to withstand all the mockery?

I reluctantly pushed the cubicle open, standing out in the open.

"Claudia..." the girls stood frozen

"Hi," I said, giving a small wave.

"Look, we didn't mean-"

"It's okay," smiling a bit

I expected the girls to be all fake hair, fake nails, fake everything; it turns out they were one of the 'normal' girls who were not superficial at all. They were the type of girls that spoke the truth, unfiltered.

As I emerged from the restroom, a warm hand enveloped my own.

"Hi, girlfriend," he said, smiling brightly, swinging our entwined hands

He looked so happy, but for how long?

I smile slightly, nonchalantly letting go.

"What's wrong?" He asked, worry in his voice

I look around and saw people looking at us, judgmental stares, calculating eyes.

"Maybe it's all too fast?" I ask

"What do you mean? Tell me." He said in a serious tone

"People think we're not supposed to be together and I think so too, I mean you're up there, and I'm way down here."  I said using my hands for gestures

He clenched his hands into fists.

"So, this is all what's this about? That's how you see me? The heir to billions? Nothing but money?" He said through clenched teeth

"No, no! It's not like that! I'm not good enough!"

"Really? It sure seems like that. You're fucking perfect to me! I would give up everything for you and you can't even fight for me."

He said those words with such venom that the tears started to fall, he looked at me one more time before walking away.

He didn't look back.

Not even once.

-----

A/N:

Hello, lovely people! Exams are over but I've still got loads to do :( A lot of updates next week or this weekend!

Love you all! Please VOTE & COMMENT

Check my other stories!
   ○ Awkward Jane
   ○ [Anne] attractive
● Any of you have instagram? :)

-invisibilityink