iv. Family Drama

( FAMILY DRAMA )

( FAMILY DRAMA )

✧*

     IT WAS AN EARLY SUMMER MORNING when their Hogwarts letters and booklists arrived, something Belle always looked forward to. For her, school shopping was an enjoyable experience, going to Diagon Alley and purchasing new quills, books (her favourite), and enjoying large chocolate sundaes. She'd count down the days, plan out her outfit, but this year, there was none of that. It didn't even occur to her that there were only two weeks left until school starts — it just wasn't on her mind, so when Amelia asked her when their parents would be taking them into Diagon Alley, she was speechless.

     It was late in the night, Belle hadn't been keeping track of the time because she was so immersed in one of her novels. It was the only escape she had from everything else going on in her life, a sweet, fictional escape that could make almost every thought disappear. It was easy for her to ignore what was going on.

     "When are mom and dad going to write to us and tell us when they're coming back? We should be getting our letters soon, right?" Amelia said, and Belle hadn't realised she was awake.

     It took a few seconds for her to come up with a proper response, something that wouldn't make Amelia suspicious, "They should write soon...Mrs. Weasley told me they probably don't have access to owls at the moment, but they'll be back and take us to Diagon Alley, don't worry," It was a complete lie.

     "Good, I need new robes," Amelia said.

     When Belle's reply from her parents came moments after their letters arrived, it wasn't the response she had anticipated or expected. It was the complete opposite of what she expected.

     Dearest Belle and Amelia,

     We have been on a very important mission for the past few weeks, as you both know. There has not been a set end date as of yet, but we are hoping to return as soon as we can, Dumbledore reassured us that we would be done right before you two went off to Hogwarts. We will try our hardest to make this possible, but it could very well not happen.

     Stay with the Weasleys, they will help you prepare for the upcoming school year.

     We will see you both soon,

     Love Mom and Dad

     She's instantly disappointed. It's the first letter she has received since they left for their mission — and it didn't feel like they cared whether their daughters are enjoying their time at Grimmauld Place. As much as she respects her parents and admires what they are doing for The Order, it seems rushed, as soon as they had dropped Belle and Amelia off, they were out doing whatever it is they are meant to do. And they didn't warn them about it, or explain, or even tell them that they most likely won't have access to many owls.