viii. Keeping The Peace

( KEEPING THE PEACE )

✧*

     AS A CHILD, Belle's father often obsessed over quidditch, even though no one else in their household cared for it. When he bought her a broom for Christmas when she was five and made her ride it, she ended up panicking and crying so hard that her mother had to calm her down (maybe that is why she is scared of heights...). She has never understood quidditch, she only knows how it works because of how much her father spoke about it when she was younger. And at school, she usually attends every game, but she never cheers for anyone, in particular, unless her house is playing, of course. Otherwise, she doesn't mind who wins, and she thinks that everyone takes it way too seriously. 

     She often wonders why her friends bicker constantly over who has won and who hasn't, it isn't that big of a deal. Over the summer when she played chess with Ron, and he won (often), she'd just smile and move on, because she doesn't see a point in getting mad over it. Since a few of her friends are playing in the upcoming game, she can't just cheer for one team, can she? That would be unfair, even if most of her house is choosing to cheer for Gryffindor instead of Slytherin. 

     "Gryffindor is going to win, they can't break their streak yet, and I hate how smug the Slytherin's look this morning," Hannah says to Ernie and Belle at the Hufflepuff table on the morning of the first match of the year.

     "Did I tell you that Violet plays quidditch now?" says Belle while spreading butter and jam on her slice of toast. Her hair is in pigtails, a scarlet scrunchie in one pigtail, and a green one in the other. 

     Ernie just shrugs (he's still being short with her, she hasn't had a chance to talk to him just yet).

     "No, do you know what position she's playing?" Hannah responds, looking around curiously at the Slytherin table.

      "No, I—"

     "Beater, of course," Violet says from behind them, causing both girls and Ernie to turn around. She wasn't dressed for the game just yet, but the first thing Belle notices is a gleaming silver badge on the front of her robes, in the shape of a crown. 

     "Awesome, are you enjoying it?" Hannah asks.

     "It's alright, something new, I guess," Violet responds, noticing the scrunchies in Belle's hair, stepping closer. "Do you have to wear red as well? Two greens would have looked so much better, I think."