xv. Dumbledores Army

( DUMBLEDORES ARMY )

✧*

"MUM, WHY CAN'T GRANDMA AND GRANDPA DO MAGIC?" a six-year-old Belle Morales' asks at the dinner table, after a long day with her grandparents — her parents worked all day, so her and her four-year-old sister, Amelia, had to spend the day with them. It wasn't that bad, in fact, it was quite enjoyable, they are interesting people, she thinks. They have a nice television with lots of films to choose from, a large number of snacks, and books (her grandma calls them novels), and a cat called Sadie. While she has been over plenty of times before, mainly for holidays, it was different. It wasn't like her life at home.

Her mother sets down her fork and knife, looking over at her daughter with a smile. "Belle, do you know what the word muggle-born means?"

She shakes her head, she's never been taught that one before, only the word muggle in those stories her mother reads to her at night, she never reaches the end, though, she always falls asleep before the third chapter. And although she knows there are people out there who don't live life the way she does, it still doesn't make much sense...her grandparents should be able to do magic, how come they don't when her mother does?

"Well, you know the word muggle, it is for people who are born without any magical abilities, like your grandparents. They're not very different from us." she finishes.

"They are, Belle." her father says from the other end of the table, and her mother looks at him, a look on her face that Belle can't describe. She doesn't respond.

"Why can you do magic if grandma and grandpa can't?" she asks her second question.

"I can't tell you why Belle. One day my parents received a letter in the mail from Hogwarts, and everything made sense. You'll understand one day, now, eat your greens."

✧*

It's a normal Wednesday morning — the Great Hall is packed, Belle is eating breakfast beside Hannah who is talking about her study schedule when packs of owls fly into the room, one dumping a letter beside her cereal. It's an owl she's never seen before, but she lets the creature take a nip from her bowl and gives it a scratch on the neck before flying off. Her first thought when seeing the letter, her parents, but when she notices the stamp on it, she thinks otherwise.

The back reads Amelia & Belle Morales, Hogwarts with no other detail, except the stamp, which is the reason she doesn't believe it's from her parents. They never sent letters with stamps, or names, her mother usually wrote something inspiring on the back, that's how Belle always knew they came from her.

"Who'd you get a letter from? Is it your parents?" Hannah asks.

"I...don't know." she doesn't take her time opening the letter, and she takes out the piece of parchment inside, unfolding it. She isn't surprised when she reads that it didn't come from her parents.