Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The bell rang. I walked to open it, yawning while doing so. Thinking it was probably the band, I opened it. "Hey...." I started to say, but stopped when I realized it was Nathan.

He was standing on my doorstep, wearing a yellow t-shirt and grey shorts. There was a package in his hands, which smelled freaking delicious. He looked up at me and smiled sweetly. "Hi." His voice was soft. I felt myself smile back involuntarily. Then I caught myself, slammed the door shut and turned to walk back inside.

I flopped onto the sofa and switched on the television. Who did he think he was? Turning up at my doorstep, with food, expecting me to let him. Well, I wasn't his best friend anymore. I tried to keep a composed face, but was disturbed by him ringing the bell again. Then he started talking to me through the half open window.

"Lex, why are you mad at me? OK, I have a faint idea. But please talk to me, let me in. I've got homemade brownies! I just want to give company to my sick friend."

This was surreal. He was standing outside my house, begging for forgiveness with a plate of brownies. My fate is ridiculous. I heard him sigh and settle down to wait outside. What the heck? He didn't have the right to do that. I was going to tell him to get off my property right now. After I changed out of my pyjamas into something more serious-looking. When I did so, I marched out.

"You came." he grinned.

"Get. Off. My. Lawn."

"Is this about me not keeping in touch with you? I swear I have a reasonable reason...."

"Don't make me call Jake."

"Jake likes me better than you do right now."

Crap. I forgot about their bromance. Fine, I had better ideas.

"If you don't leave right now, I'll never forgive you." My voice was hard and unyielding, which I was proud of.

"But...."

"I'm serious, Miller. Take your brownies and go."

"As you say, Creek. But I'm not giving up." He turned to go, leaving me with my mouth hanging open. Seriously? He wanted us to be BFFs now?

"You're such a jerk." I muttered and turned to go in, slamming the door behind me.

*

Liam knocked on the door when I was stuffing brownies into my mouth. I couldn't help myself! Nathan had left them on my doorstep. They smelled so good, so I felt guilty about leaving them there. I ran and opened the door. Everyone nearly fell in, almost trampling me in the process.

"What's that heavenly smell?" Zach demanded.

I held out the plate wordlessly. There was nothing left on it after a minute.

"Did you bake them?" Scarlett asked, looking impressed.

"No. My neighbor did." I confessed.

Jasper started choking. Liam thumped his back. When he stopped coughing, Jasper looked at me and went "Don't tell me he decided to become gay after that little encounter. Am I really that hot?"

"In your dreams." I laughed. "He's been cooking them as apologies since we were kids."

"Wait, you guys know each other from back then? He's not really crazy?" Zach threw in.

"About that.... "

"We're waiting."

"He's my childhood best friend who shifted here a long time ago and completely forgot about me then." I blurted out.