Chapter 6.4 - Brandon

My plastic bag of a few school supplies rustled along my leg as Emma and headed home. I walked Emma to her house, and she thanked me for a wonderful day, before I then walked back to my own.

"You were gone for quite a long time," my mother piped up the moment I opened my front door. "And you seemed to have gotten lost, for you ended up taking a trip around the canal."

I froze. Shoot. The tracker on my phone. I drew in a deep breath, and closed the door silently behind me before walking, light on my toes, into the dining room. I didn't know what the silence would gain me, though.

My mother was sitting at the dining table, in front of her computer. I entered and placed my bag of school supplies on the table wordlessly.

"Do you have something you would like to say, Brandon?" my mother asked.

"Yeah, I needed some time off," was all I could say.

"Hmm," my mother said, her mouse clicking repetitively like a broken stereo as she stared at her computer screen. I wasn't sure if she was focused on me or on whatever's on her computer. "If you're going to do something like that, you better tell me. I'll let you off this time. Only this time."

Inside, I scoffed. Outside, I maintained a composed expression and turned to go to my room, bringing my bag of school supplies. Why should I be controlled by my parents when Emma would never allow herself to be? No matter how much I wanted to protest, I didn't.

I decided to stop by Hailey's room. As I entered, I spotted her writing on her desk, unbeknownst of my presence. Her long blonde hair shone so bright it could have resembled snow.

I knocked on the open door to get her attention, and she turned to face me. "Hey, Brandon," she said with a small smile.

"Hey, little sis," I replied, forcing a smile back.

"Did you find an answer to my question?" Hailey asked.

"I did," I said, rocking my toes back and forth. My hands slid into my pockets, which subconsciously happens when I'm nervous.

"And...?" Hailey continued for me.

I sat on her bed. "Okay, but first, I want you to answer one of my questions."

"Ok," Hailey agreed, her eyes questioning me.

"What makes you wonder why something is the way it is?"

She looked at me, puzzled.

"I mean," I elaborated. "Why did you want to find out why that math technique worked?"

She swirled her chair around, making a mouse-like squeak as she thought about her answer. "I guess that's just who I am. I am those type of people that just wonder why we do the things we do. I don't want to just follow blindly; I need proof."

Some would wonder how she is just ten years old. I nodded.

"But I guess it all depends on the person to wonder why something is, depending on the situation they are in and how it affects their personality."

I nodded once again.

"Why do you want to know?" Hailey asked, and realized what she said.

We both smiled. "If you want to be a singer, Hailey," I told her, "then you can be one. Don't let anyone stop you."

A/N: QOTC

Hope you like the relationship between Brandon and Hailey! For the QOTC, what's your favorite thing about having a sibling, or what's your favorite thing about being an only child?