Chapter 12.2 - Brandon

I jolted awake as if there was some supernatural force present that pushed me back into the real world, and immediately recalled everything, from the moment I saw Emma sketching in her backyard, to the tears in her eyes as she cried my name on the train station platform. My mind raced with an insurmountable number of questions of what might have happened during my deep slumber, all of which I automatically answered with guesses that only messed up my mind even more. But the thought that I didn't have a single answer to, the question that was so prominent that it could have literally been protruding from my head was, Where is Emma?

I somehow knew there was something wrong, and not how I wanted it to be, but I just didn't know what yet. My gut told me something that I refused to think true.

"You're awake." My eyes darted to my bedside, and rested on my mother. There were enormous bags underneath her drooping eyelids, and her tired head rested on a thin and frail arm. But her eyes themselves were alive with concern. "How are you feeling?" she asked.

My body went stiff as I braced myself for some serious scolding, my palms sweating as my mind reminded me of all the things I had done wrong this past week, and all the things that my parents had the right to be angry at. But when all my mother asked about was my wellness, something inside me switched, and my body relaxed. I didn't allow myself to jump to any conclusions, but I looked at her curiously. "Good," I replied.

She gave a light smile, her eyelids half closed. "I'm so glad."

"Are you okay? What happened?" I asked, desperate for knowledge.

"I'm fine. I was just so worried. But I understand now." Her eyes contemplated something, and she looked to my bedside table. "Your friend, Emma, told me to give that to you."

My eyes went to the table. On it was a keychain, Emma's raven sketch, and a small, folded piece of paper.

No, my mind thought. Why is this here? And not Emma?

My mother got up, gratefully granting me privacy, and I reached for the piece of paper. Now looking closer, I noticed it was in an opened envelope, and my eyes narrowed in anger as I realized that my parents had opened Emma's note to me. I tried my best to shake it off, so I could read Emma's words with ease.

Brandon -

I'm not sure how to start this. Right now I'm in the Schneiders' house, looking up at your window. Your parents wouldn't allow me to see you. I can imagine you now glancing at the sunrise that's happening right now as I write these words.

But that is not the reason for this letter.

I love you. I probably always will. And I will never forget our week together in Amsterdam. I feel as if we each found a hidden part of ourselves because of each other, and through that, we are connected.

But I have to leave you.

We are different, Brandon, despite our similarities, and you're cut out for a completely different path than me. Your path is full of love and loyalty and family that love you without boundaries. You will travel the world in better circumstances with it, for a family is as much of a burden as it is a privilege, just like the absence of one. It all depends on you and your choice. Remember when you said that your future is mist, and only you can change it into water? Well, you helped me realize something more: that the water we have already formed can't be changed, but it makes us who we are today.

Trust me when I say that you inspired me, as much as I know I've inspired you with my

path of adventure and spontaneity.