Chapter 10.5 - Brandon

Soon enough, my parents woke, and as they were having breakfast, I spilled the beans on everything.

"You went over there again?" my mother asked, her voice raising.

My father shushed her. "Well I guess you learned the truth," he told me. "And you realized what we told you yesterday was correct. You know nothing about that girl. "

"I expect you won't be seeing her again, and this time, of your own will," my mother spat. "She'll no longer have you wrapped around her little finger."

"Yes, we learned the truth about her," my father agreed. "And thank goodness it was before it was too late."

I glared at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

My mother scoffed. "Of course you didn't notice. You were blinded by her. Manipulated. It was only a matter of time before she made you do something you couldn't fix."

"What?" I asked with incredulity. "Why do you all think she's controlling me? She's not. All my actions are all what they are. My actions. Just like my anger towards Emma is my action. They are not, and never were, her's." I scoffed. "And you should know. Ever since sophomore year, you guys have been nothing but controlling over me!"

My father held up a hand, telling me to calm down. "Whatever we do is for your own good, Brandon. Alright?"

"Bu-"

"And there's no point in us fighting either. Since we all agree now that Emma is not a girl to be trusted."

But my anger only grew. For some reason, I didn't feel satisfied. My mind was pushing my body to do something rash, and my stomach was churning with resentment, boiling and bubbling at such extreme temperatures that steam could basically be drifting off my head. Maybe it was because I was annoyed at the fact that my parents weren't being more understanding towards me, but they never are. So maybe it's because they thought I had no control over my actions. Or maybe it's because I missed Emma.

But she lied to me. She can't be trusted.

But Mr. Schneider told me I should talk to her. Hailey also told me the same thing.

But my parents are right. No matter how many times I try to deny it, they are always right. I should just be done with Emma, and never think of her again.

And yet she just comes crawling back into my mind. Just this morning, I told Hailey I loved Emma, and when you love someone, it's almost impossible to forget them. So it's one thing to say I'll forget her, but another thing to actually do it.

Maybe I should go talk to her.

But I'm afraid it'll only hurt me more.

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts, and both my parents instantly stood upright, their movement sliding their chairs backwards along the floor. "I'll get it," my father said, as my mother sat back down.

"If it's that girl again, I swear," my mother cursed.

I tried to get a peek to see who it was, leaning my head on my arm and slightly

stretching it across towards the other end of the table. I tried to not make it so obvious that my mother could recognize what I was intending to do. But it was until I spotted the visitor's brown wavy hair that I quickly resumed an upright position, frozen in place as my mind raced around the room.

It's Emma. My thoughts were only confirmed by her voice.

"Hello," she said. "I'm-"

"Emma," my father interrupted. "Yes, I remember."

"I was wondering if Brandon was around?" Emma asked.

"Of course you are," my father said, through gritted teeth. "He's here, but doesn't want to speak to you. You've done enough."

"I'm sorry?" Emma replied, puzzled.

"It was nice to see you," my father said, and shut the door. He even locked it, something he never does.

Just from hearing that conversation, I hated myself. Even I didn't think Emma deserved that type of treatment she just received from my father. I didn't even know if Emma understood why my father had even acted that way.

But what could I do about it?

I felt like I was handcuffing my own body to my parents', telling myself it's for the better.

Disgusted, I went up to my room.