Lady Earthquake Chapter 3

An-Xia had been unnecessarily worried about conflicting times of fencing class and lady-like dancing class. They were on different days, though finding time for practicing both of them stretched her abilities. She found that she did not require so much sleep after all. No one questioned her appropriation of the Great Hall after dinner, assuming that 'dance practice' went on there. After a few weeks of this, the Flame of Zhao gave her a rare compliment that sent her off in a glow, despite an envious tap on the head from Zang Sun-Sin.

Her teacher, a Miss Qin, soon noticed that her new pupil had a quite remarkable aptitude for the famous sword-dance, if not for more delicate performances. So advanced were her skills that she was chosen, shortly after turning twelve years old, to demonstrate for the chief benefactor of the dancing school, Lady Zang.

Feeling quite curious about Sun-Sin's foster mother, whom he never mentioned, An-Xia peered out into the hall while the littlest girls danced like swirling leaves. Her grandfather and mother were present, her mother wearing a long veil. She did not like to be out in public; she thought it improper for a widow. But she had made an exception for this one day.

They sat quite near the seat of honor on a raised dais. Miss Qin stood by in a half-bow beside the Lady of the district. Lady Zang wore a beautiful over-robe of best brown silk, closely embroidered with cranes and peony flowers. Her gleaming hair was piled in a fearsome orchestration of loops and buns, all secured with pearl and ruby rosette hairpins. But An-Xia noticed that her face was pinched, her lips pursed. Her forehead looked like a plowed field.

"What a mean look," someone behind her whispered. Two of the older girls, almost marrying age, were also peering out into the Hall. "They say she has her maids slap each other for her amusement."

"Miss Qin was lucky to get out of the manor alive."

An-Xia sighed. Poor Sun-Sin with such a foster-mother.

She did not feel excited about this performance, for which she had been studying for weeks. Though it gave a good display, there was nothing real about the 'sword dance'. At least not the way Miss Qin taught it. She envisioned it as a romantic ballet with pretty poses and dramatic flourishes that had neither defensive nor offensive potential. Every time An-Xia had tried to throw in a genuine element, Miss Qin would thump her stick on the floor and stop her. Eventually, she gave up and did it the way the teacher wanted, sighing all the time.

'I better go dress," she said to no one in particular.

Miss Qin had returned to the back room, trying to get everyone ready for the next dance. "Hurry and put on your costume, Miss Li. There is so little time now."

"Thank you, Miss. I will hurry."

"You will look very nice as a boy. But for goodness' sake do not tear your costume! I shall go entirely mad if one more thing goes wrong."

Her assistant, Miss Dan, came hurrying along, moving between the chattering groups of girls like a fish through reeds. "Miss Qin, Miss Qin!" She stopped for a moment, pressing her hand to her side.

"What is it? You look sick."

"The Lord has just arrived."

"Which Lord...oh, heavens. Lord Zang?"

"Yes, Miss. He brought his two boys."

An-Xia took her costume in her arms, all fluttering scarves of bright reds and blues, and hurried back to her vantage point. The other girls had gone so there was no one to hear her say, 'Oh, no, no, no!" when she saw Sun-Sin, black-browed, standing next to his foster-mother's chair after making his bow.