Lady Earthquake Chapter 21

Within a day, T'ien Luo-Bi, the Third Prince, had a copy of Sun-Sin's report in front of him. It made for pleasant bed-time reading until he reached the conclusion that someone, possibly Mrs. Li, had survived. His servants outside the door shuddered as one as they heard the shattering of his highness' tea set and the breaking of wood, all to the accompaniment of harsh, monotonous swearing. It sounded as though a wild beast had caught some defenseless creature and had begun tearing its prey apart.

After what seemed a very long time, the door slid back with a crash. "Send a message to the Ministry of the Military. Find out where Colonel Hsia is. If he is not within the capital, ask how soon he is expected to return."

"And if he is within the city, your highness?"

"Bring him to me without delay." Without a glance behind him at the ruined room, the Third Prince said, "I will sleep tonight in the Phoenix Tower."

"Yes, your highness."

"If you find Hsia, wake me."

"Y...yes, your highness."

Wishing to preserve his head, the servant sent Colonel Hsia up alone, for dangerous missions were the military's special duty. Hsia paused just outside the open entrance to the room beyond and cleared his throat. "Are you awake, your highness?" he called, in would-be dulcet tones.

"Of course. Enter." His highness uncovered a lantern on the table. Next to it, gleaming in the soft glow, a dagger rocked back and forth on its hilt-guard, showing that it had only just been thrown down.

As was so often the case when he stood in the presence of the Third Prince, Hsia found himself tugged unconsciously at the high collar of his uniform. He could strut and bluster with ease among his fellow soldiers or to impress the flower-maidens, but the appraisal in the prince's cold eyes took him back to the days when the man he hated most was his training sergeant right after he had enlisted. Just as with that man, Hsia never could be sure of himself or his courage when those eyes were on him.

"I have read the Fourth Prince's report on the Li murders," the prince said, seating himself on the low bench that did duty for a bed. "He says that he first heard of the matter from you."

"Oh? Err...yes."

"Why did you mention it to him?" The prince reached out and reclaimed his dagger from the table. To Hsia's horror, he began flipping it idly from hand to hand, like a knife-thrower in the marketplace, never making an error, as though the blade were not ground to a wickedly sharp edge.

"I thought it would be odd if I failed to mention something so extraordinary that took place in his own home-town. He lived there for so many years that I thought he might have known General Li, your highness."

"It seems as though he did, but only as an acquaintance of his foster-father. That is as well for you, Hsia. Bad enough that my dear youngest brother should poke his nose into this business out of idle curiosity or a sense of duty. If he took it on to exact some personal revenge, I would throw you to him as a bone to be gnawed. The same is true if I thought for even one moment that you were trying to be clever."

"Oh, no, your highness."

"I have told you before, Hsia...I do not need clever men about me. Only obedient ones."

"I am happy to obey your highness in everything."

"Then return to Bashan. Find out from your murderous wretches what happened to Mrs. Li. If she survived...."

Hsia waved a hand in a negative way. "I am certain she did not. The destruction of the Li's residence was complete. You were right to order that the event should take place there instead of the townhouse. Even if Mrs. Li escaped, how could she survive a night or two on those hills?"