Lady Earthquake Chapter 11

If there had been any way to avoid it, Sun-Sin would not have visited his step-mother's residence at the palace the next morning. But one did not return the king's personal amulet by messenger, not even a military messenger. He called in Dongru as he finished his breakfast.

"I am going to the palace. Send a message to Lieutenant Luyo that I will join the troop on the road. Arrange to have my horse waiting at the Northeast Gate and see to it that I have a change of clothing and my old boots."

"Very good, your highness."

"Furthermore...." He handed over a sheet of paper. "This is a list of everything that has been purchased for this manor that has not yet been delivered. Cancel it. Cancel all of it, from the guardian lions to the bath essences."

"Did you say...?" The majordomo met the young prince's hard eyes and thought the better of any comment.

"Cancel it. Then you yourself will choose all new furnishings, hangings, and the like using the same funds. Keep in mind that I am a soldier, not an artist, a poet, or a dilettante. And I loathe every shade of spring green."

Dongru bowed. "As your highness decrees."

"I will be back at the end of the week. See to it that everything is finished at that time. I do not want any of it to intrude on my notice again."

"As your highness wishes. Er...."

"Ask."

"The, um, ladies' quarters?"

"Are of no interest at the moment. They will remain empty for the foreseeable future."

A touch of relief might have been observed on Dongru's immobile face if Sun-Sin had not taken that moment to toss back the last of his tea. Ladies of great personal decision were not easy for a servant to please at the best of times. Ladies who were also snakes in the grass were to be avoided. It seemed this the Fourth Prince had learned that lesson in the nick of time. Dongru wondered where and when this turn had been taken.

"Furthermore, Dongru, and this is very important...." He tapped his fingers on the table as he thought of what to say.

"I am all attention, your highness."

"If, at any time, a young man by the name of Shu Ban-Li from Bashan ever wishes to see me, you are to inform me at once. If I am away on maneuvers, use the royal homing pigeons. I have here an authorization for you."

"Yes, your highness."

"If he should come at such a time, treat him in all things as though he were my Junior Brother until I return. You will give him this letter when he arrives."

"He is from your home city, your highness?"

"Yes."

"And when may we expect this young man?"

"Now that spring is past, I expect him at any time. Certainly by the end of the summer. This year, at any rate."

"We shall make him welcome whenever he arrives." Dongru bowed. "Please excuse me, your highness. I have much to do."

Sun-Sin put his hands over his face, hoping he did not look as tired as he felt. He'd been in the fighting ring more than once with the martial artist who kept his personal cadre of soldiers in fighting trim. Cho Fa-Tzu never spared himself or anyone of whatever rank. If a man climbed into the ring, Master Cho would test him to his limit. Sun-Sin would have far rather spent an hour sparring with him, who used feet, hands, and sometimes teeth against his opponent, than spend another night like the last. He had taken so many hits that his head went around like a goldfish in a bowl.