Lady Earthquake Chapter 39

An-Xia, discovering there were limits to her courage after all, did not test Sun-Sin's resolve overtly again.

Sun-Sin did not mention that every time she blinked at him or smiled or brushed against him was a temptation that he fought silently and relentlessly. He offered himself rewards for his resistance – a brief squeeze of her hand or an arm around her shoulders as they sat before the fire at night. These satisfied only his spirit but it would be too cruel to both of them if he gave way to more earthly desires. He did not know if he would be alive in a week's time which, he realized with a sigh, made this journey no different from any other one he had ever taken. The difference was only in his newly-refreshed love of living and the slight chance he saw for a happy future.

"I think it is best," he said during their final day on the road, "if we go to the palace first. I can see you safely into the hands of the Grand Consort. If I ask her abjectly enough, she will protect you."

"Perhaps she can protect you too."

"Her influence with my father is great as the mother of two sons, one the Crown Prince. But she cannot act too precipitately lest she lose that influence unnecessarily."

"But she likes you very much."

"She likes being Grand Consort even more. She would not want to be condemned as my mother was, forgotten in some convent."

"I see." They walked on in companionable silence, followed by the boy. "I think we should not go to the palace first," An-Xia said.

"No? Why not?"

"Well," she said with a chuckle, "look at me. No. Not like that."

"Like what?"

"Like...like you are a man."

"I am though. Unlike some people I could mention."

"You enjoy making me blush. I have noticed it before, even when I was still a boy."

"I acknowledge my guilt." He frowned at her, his dark brows knitting. After a moment, however, his lips turned up irrepressibly. "No. Even if I try my hardest, I cannot look at you any other way now."

"But my clothes are ragged and my face is no doubt dirty."

"All I see is that your top-knot is sliding but I have grown quite accustomed to that failure by now."

"But if you bring this grubby soldier to the palace and say you want to marry me, people will assume you have gone insane."

"That would be one way to avoid the court-martial." He sighed and dropped his arm around her shoulders. He had begun to carry her pack by the second day, finding increasingly absurd reasons that he should do so. "You are right. Acquiring women's clothing for you should be the first thing we do. We will go first to my manor. Dongru is up to this task as to every other."

"He probably will not even be surprised."

"Nothing surprises a good majordomo."

An-Xia wished with all her heart that she had no other reason for going to the prince's manor. One Royal Decree had given him his heart's desire; she dreaded the moment when she must show him the second one. Yet it had to be done as quickly as possible. Any delay would only put him in greater danger. If only she could run away now, before she delivered the cut to his heart. But unless he knew the truth, he would never stop searching for her.

Sun-Sin took the opportunity of being close to her to whisper in her ear. "What is your name?"

"When you see me dressed as a woman, I will tell you."