Lady Earthquake Chapter 20

Maids giggled as Dongru introduced them to Young Master Shu. Then the majordomo dismissed them with a languid wave of his hand. "We are not hiring as many servants as a manor such as this usually requires, not with his highness leaving for the frontier shortly. Provided, of course, there are no more delays."

"Have there been many?"

"Indeed." Dongru moved his heavy-lidded but sharp gaze over the furniture. With a swipe of his long forefinger, he checked for dust. "The Ministry of the Military seems unable to make the slightest decision without second-guessing it several times. His highness has been extraordinarily patient."

"Have you served him a long time?"

"I began to work here shortly after he purchased the manor. He seems like a good master to serve. He is not too exacting."

"I only wondered because he said he had been expecting me."

"My orders were to prepare this room for you. If there should be anything about it which displeases you – I have my doubts about the color scheme – pray do not hesitate to mention it."

Ban-Li poked the bedmat experimentally. "All seems most excellent. Thank you for your thoughtfulness."

Dongru bowed. "One does one's poor best."

"Did his highness tell you that we are going to the palace this evening? His Eldest Brother is to be married."

The long, dignified face froze. "No, he did not mention it. I shall cancel the evening meal and lay out his best robes. Pardon my seeming rudeness, Young Master Shu, but do you have anything of the proper style?"

"I do not think so. I thought I would just wear this." He patted the screaming hawk on his chest.

The majordomo looked as though his big toe ached but bowed again. "Nothing could be more suitable than to wear your master's insignia."

Just then, they heard the prince calling for Ban-Li. The young man's face lit up. "There he is! I wondered when he would be back. Here I am, Captain!"

Sun-Sin greeted him by telling him to be seated at the second desk in his private study. Then he picked up an armful of scrolls and dropped them on the desk. They bounced and rolled. Ban-Li grabbed one before it reached the floor. "What are these?"

"Men may dream of adventure and excitement when they join up. There is a lot of that, do not mistake me. But it all waits on the record-keeping. These are the muster-rolls, listing every soldier in the brigade and the battalion. They have not been corrected since before my last adjutant left. It was not his favorite way to spend an evening."

"What do I do with them?'

Sun-Sin rooted around his desk for a moment before handing over a scroll even more daunting in circumference than any of the others. "Here is the first scroll of the latest personnel list. You check every name on our lists against this. You are looking for changes in status – promotions, deaths, retirements. I know we have had a few medals presented in the last six months. If you have questions, ask me. I will be right here finishing this report."

"Excuse me, Captain. But you know what changes there have been, right? Cannot you tell me and I make the notes?"

"It must match the official list. If I missed anyone, it could affect their pay or their pension."

Ban-Li unrolled the official list a few inches. It was covered over with tiny symbols, possibly written with a brush of a single hair. "Farewell to my eyesight," he said, squinting down at it in the buttery light of the afternoon. The study faced the west, the sun low over the farthest roof that housed the empty ladies' quarters.