Lady Earthquake Chapter 15

Author's Note: Hello, Lovely Readers! Due to travel plans, I will be away this Sunday. So here are two chapters to read this week. I appreciate your taking the time to read my book and hope you are enjoying it. Special thanks to FridayLove13 for your stars! -- CBP

**********************************************************************

"Let's go in," Sun-Sin said. "This place seems to be laid out on the regular plan."

"We...we heard a noise that came from here." Luyo peered past the lantern into the open doorway.

"I am sure the neighborhood cats have learned to come in after mice." The prince stepped over the raised threshold. The high rafters of the entrance hall were lost in the dimness. Already the house had a musty, unlived-in odor and a cold, dismal feeling. It had probably never been a lively house, Sun-Sin thought. There had been too many sorrows, too many memories of a lost husband, son, and father. But maids had hurried across this wooden floor, tradesmen and officials would have visited, and he could not imagine that Shu Ban-Li had failed to offer some vitality wherever he went.

"Do you suppose there are hidden passages here, too?" Yan asked.

"I doubt it. According to the city records, this house is not all that old. It was built during a time of prosperity and peace. No one needs hidden passages in peaceful times, only in interesting ones."

Somewhere above, an errant breeze stirred the war-banners than hung low on cross-beams, as though remembering the wind that swept over a battlefield like the breath of a god. Across the planks, something scuttled with a sound of scrabbling claws.

"Eh!" Yan said, searching the ground, the hilt of his knife in his hand.

"Captain, why have we come here?" Luyo asked. "Is there some evidence you feel the magistrate or Young Lord Zang did not find?"

"Do not be stupid," Yan said, bumping his comrade with his shoulder. "He is looking for Mrs. Li. Where else would she go if not here?"

"Oh!" Luyo lifted the lantern and looked down the length of the hall. "That makes sense. Especially if she is not right in the head."

Despite his sorrow, Sun-Sin chuckled under his breath. These two were not the right companions for a sentimental pilgrimage. If only he had not mentioned that he wanted to visit General Li's townhouse. Once he had, however, there was no way short of a direct order to keep them from coming along. Loyalty was too hard to find to dismiss it summarily when it appears wearing an anxious face. At least he did not have to lie to them; they were doing that themselves.

"You two go search the family quarters. Remember to check the rear of the house. She would go where the fire would be."

"That is true," Luyo said. "Poor lady would be cheered by the sight of a hearth fire."

"Be gentle if you do find her," Sun-Sin added. "Even if she has all her wits, the sight of military men may alarm her."

"Yes indeed, Captain. We will treat her like a babe in arms and we her nannies."

"Shall I...leave the lantern, sir?"

"Wait a moment." With the flame he lit two of the fat candles on the family altar table. "That will do. Go on now."

He waited until their footsteps had died away. The altar at the rear of the hall was empty, the soul tablets that had been moved from here to the Summer Residence lay in pieces after the raid. Reaching into the bag he wore over his shoulder, Sun-Sin took out a slim packet of paper marked with the sign of the local temple. Unwrapping three sticks of incense, he lit them and placed them in the holder. His highness clapped his hands and bowed before the empty table, sure that here in his long-time home, if anywhere, the Li patriarch would hear him.