𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐬

———✰———

After Mike didn't call back last night and he was now late Veronica was getting slightly worried so as she huffed past her father who asked her "Is everything okay?" she hummed a quick "yes"
before she dialled her boyfriend's house number.

"Hello, this is the Wheeler's" Mrs Wheeler's chirpy voice answered the phone.

"Hi, Mrs Wheeler it's Veronica, can I talk to Mike," Veronica asked sweetly as she walked into her room the phones long wire wrapping with around the door with her.

"Yeah, just a sec honey. Mike! Phone!" the Wheeler woman called out.

Seconds later her boyfriend answered the phone with a curt "hello"

"It's nine thirty-two. Where are you? Are you okay?" Veronica asked quickly.

"Sorry, I-I was just about to call. I, um can't see you today." Mike told her sounding reluctant.

"What? Why not?" Veronica asked confused. "it's my Nana. She's very sick." Mike answered her.

"But, my dad said that your Nana was okay, that it was a false alarm," Veronica said hurt and confused as to why Mike would lie to her in all his years of knowing her Mike had never, not once lied to her so why was he now.

"Yeah. That's what we thought it was at first, but then she took a real turn for the worse." Mike tried to carry on the lie. "Oh," Veronica said her voice quieter now because she new Mike and she knew when he was lying to her and he was lying to her right at that very moment.

"Yeah. We think she might-die" Mike stuttered only to be cut in by his mom's voice spurting out "What?"

Suddenly she could hear Mikes voice distantly shouting "Mom! Get off the phone! How many times?!" and his mom called back in alarm "Did nana call?!" "No, mom! Just get off the phone!" unaware that the girl could still hear what was going on.

"Sorry about that" Mike apologised "Was that your mom?" Veronica asked now very confused "Yeah. She's so upset, shes making no sense. Because we have to go to the nursing home. To see Nana" Mike answered her.

"You can come home after?" Veronica tried to see if Mike would stop lying one last time.

"No." the boy snapped only upsetting the girl on the other end more "I mean, I just think I need to be alone today. With my feelings?" Mike said sounding like even he was questioning himself.

"Mike, are you lying to me?" Veronica said now getting angry rather than upset.

"What? No. Friends don't lie" Mike said sounding outraged causing Veronica to roll her eyes now "What, mom? My mom's calling me. Better go. Talk to you tomorrow. Miss you already. Bye!" he said quickly hanging up which made Veronica go back to being confused as she frowned at the phone in her hand.