Chapter 2: Magic

Your nose filled with the wonderful scent of dirt and buttercups. A hint of rose lay behind after your deep inhale, so lovely that you almost dropped the pie.

The flower shop was small yet was always overflowing with life. Peonies peeked their heads out from behind pink begonias, roses showed their variety of colors from ceiling pots. Vines would twist and turn and grow around bamboo shoots, occasionally popping up with tiny blooms. Poppies swayed as if dancing with the tulips, their red hue bright and noticeable.

The most populous plant were the buttercups. They were everywhere you looked, in their vibrant, childish, golden beauty. Mr. Asgore loved buttercups, as did many of the people that wandered in.

"Mm? (Y/N)?" A head popped up from behind a particularly tall astrid bunch, horns poking out through blond hair. "(Y/N)!" Mr. Asgore smiled toothily and stood to his full hight. It was incredibly intimidating if you were standing right in front of him, looking up at his horns and frame of hair. You almost dropped the pie again.

He walked over with a pot of perfectly blue violets, smiling. "I finished the order you put in for your mother. She'll love them, I'm sure."

You smiled back, heart fluttering. Your mother's birthday was next week, and you had wanted only the perfect flowers to surprise her with. Seeing as she loved violets, you and your father had managed to get tons of violet things.

This was your little contribution.

"Is Frisk here?" You asked politely, your eyes scanning the flora. "I forgot to give them something. I told them to meet me here."

"Ah, I'm afraid not," Mr. Asgore sighed, putting the violets on a nearby counter. "Frisk has yet to arrive. Even if they had arrived, they would be out here to greet you. Now, I don't suppose they've told you about the magic yet..?"

You nodded quickly. "Yeah, actually! They told me on my way here. Over the phone, that is."

Mr. Asgore smiled. "Here, here. Set the pie there—yes, there—right next to the violets—yes. Come with me. I'm sure Frisk will be able to find us back here."

He took your hand in his, enveloping your hand in his huge, furry paw. It was kind of like wearing a huge warm glove, the type that made you feel like your hand was in an oven.

After a twist and a turn and a set of stairs the two of you finally arrived. It was a small room, plants creeping up the walls, with light filtering in through the windows. Was it a greenhouse?

Mr. Asgore motioned you towards a spot in the sunlight, right next to a peculiar bunch of irises. He sat down in front of you, light ending just below his eyes. You folded your hands nicely in your lap, waiting.

The former king opened his mouth to speak, but someone beat him to it. "(Y/N)! There you are!"

Frisk came jogging through the door, not close to being out of breath. Guess all of that running around gave them super legs.

"Hello, Frisk," Mr. Asgore said pleasantly. "We were just about to get started."

Frisk sat down beside you, also folding their fingers. A beat of silence passed. Two. Then Mr. Asgore cleared his throat and said, "This kind of magic isn't exactly easy, but not hard either. It all depends on your SOUL type. And as I have seen many times before, (Y/N) just so happens to have a lovely combination of traits."

Your cheeks warmed slightly as you nodded. It was always hard for you to cover feelings, especially the vivid ones like embarrassment or anger. A blessing and a curse.

"Now if you both could please enter the arena?" Frisk jerked their head and pulled up their SOUL, a bright red heart pulsing with stored energy.

Your SOUL radiated a gentle slideshow of teal and green—it was rare to have two balanced traits—as it hovered above your chest. Mr. Asgore smiled, saying, "Ah, yes. Kindness and Patience. One of the best combinations for this particular spell."

His own SOUL, a white upside down heart, appeared. "...Please do not get angry with yourself if the spell doesn't work at first. It is complex and complicated, yet I think you have hope for learning it."

You blushed again and smiled at the floor between your legs.

Mr. Asgore said, "The last time I used this spell, it was to attempt to cure my child." He took a shaky breath. "It was successful, for the time being... Anyhow. Close your eyes, and focus on each other's SOULs."

Your eyelids slid closed as your mind wandered. Slowly, an image be an to form in your mind. Well, actually, it was a flicker of green. Then teal.

Suddenly, you found yourself in a void with only your SOUL as guidance. Your spine tickled, but you continued to focus.

Red sparked in the corner of your eye. So did white. And in a single moment, you were no longer alone. Frisk and Mr. Asgore's SOULs floated to your left and right, pulsing with energy.

You smiled, feeling much more satisfied. Frisk's red SOUL tensed in determination, and you were surprised to feel it. Mr. Asgore's larger SOUL swelled with pride—he must be seeing you do it. What if... I opened further?

After taking a deep breath, you pushed against the mental walls of the greenhouse.

The world exploded in color.

Your heart raced as you were surrounded by hundreds of thousand of orbs, hundreds of thousands of emotions. They swirled and glided and danced around you, curious and happy and wonderful and so, so confusing—

"-N)! (Y/N)! Can you hear me?"

Your eyes opened to see Frisk an inch from your face. Their face was laced with concern, and you realized you were on the floor.

"...Did I pass out?" You peeped, sitting up. You rubbed the back of your head. Ouch. Surprised I didn't feel that.

Frisk nodded quickly, saying, "You were passed out  for like 3 minutes! Don't do that!"

Mr. Asgore sighed. "Don't worry, my child. This is proof that (Y/N) has potential—"

B O O M

Frisk dropped to the floor, so you did the same. Mr. Asgore suddenly looked both very afraid and very mad. He summoned a blood red trident from thin air and snarled, "Stay where you are." And he was gone.

You scooted under the table, and hugged your legs to your chest.

Should've called Frisk to come to your place instead.