Chapter 7: A Thousand Truths

Light filled your vision.

It stretched and twisted around your eyes, and the screams faded away. You were floating, drifting through time and space. Even though your thoughts were out of your head, you could still hear a few voices.

A warm, buttery feeling rose in your chest. The light intensified, and you could hear slightly muted voices.

"Are they OK?"

"Calm down. (Y/N)'s going to be just fine."

"Hey, I think they're waking up."

The light became a chorus of fireflies. They fluttered over your eyes, and you tried to bat them away in vain.

"(Y/N)? Can you hear me?"

There was that voice again. That light, feathery voice that made your face catch fire...

You groaned, rubbing the fireflies away. Your body ached, and your mind was a muddle of thoughts and dreams and strange voices. As the light slowly but surely faded to a reasonable point, you noticed that you were back in the... Sanctuary. That was a good name for it. This room in particular had the same arched ceilings, but was longer than any other room. Light filled the room through a medium layer of leaves. There were multiple beds, some with a monster, human, or hybrid design upon their sheets. You yourself were on a bed, resting. You attempted to sit up.

Big mistake.

You immediately collapsed in pain, your middle area stinging. Dream was suddenly over you, his gloved  hands resting lightly over your stomach. You had to remind yourself to breathe.

"Take it easy, (Y/N)," Ink called from across the room. His voice wasn't completely flat, but not exactly bright either. Angry? "The Darkness really did a number on you. You passed out as soon as the stuff touched you. Well, impaled you, actually—"

"IMPALED!?" You shouted, immediately yanking Dream's hands away to see for yourself. And lo and behold, there was a huge scar right above your stomach. Although it was pink and white, already healed, yup wanted to throw up.

"(Y/N), please," Dream whispered. His eyes were shining and dim, and shadowed slightly with regret. "You're already hurt. I don't want you to get hurt any more than you already are."

You couldn't help but lay back down and smile. So he does care about me. "Fortunately, all Darkness is naturally repelled by light. I think that that will be our first lesson: learning how to use light."

Dream smiled softly at you, and you felt your heart flutter. "But for now, you must rest. Ink, Blue, and I have to check up on the universe. Just to make sure that it's still sa-fe."

His eyes were beginning to water as his voice cracked. The light filtering into the room seemed to dim significantly, and the calm aura that hung around you lifted to show hopelessness. Ink bowed his head slightly, eyes turning to blue droplets. Blueberry, from his corner in the room, sighed deeply.

Even though you didn't see it happen, you could feel it in their actions.

Birdtale was no more.

You closed your eyes and exhaled hard. Although you had only known it for mere minutes, you were sure it was a wonderful world. Just thinking of people flying freely around after they were released, free as birds, made you... melancholy.

Suddenly and unexpectedly, you were pulled into a hug. The smell of (F/F) filled your senses, and you felt warm and safe. The weight of the situation crashed down on you. Wrapping your arms around Dream, you let a few tears slip from your eyes.