Chapter 9: Reaching Out

Tons of appreciation to @DaGoatIt for making a redraw of (Y/N) and (N/N)!

This chapter should be much more lighthearted than the last few, at least in the beginning

This chapter should be much more lighthearted than the last few, at least in the beginning. The Author figured they should make Dream's story more fluffy than Nightmare's. Enjoy!

:):

The book was pressed tightly up against your chest as you walked through the sunshine filled hallway. Your night of sleep had been euphoric after discovering Dreamtale. No nightmares plagued your sleep, and you felt wide awake as your eyes opened.

You were especially excited since today was the day you'd finally have that lesson with Dream. After putting it off for so long, the two of you were finally going to have some real time together.

You weren't stupid—you could tell that he wanted to spend time with you. A friendship was blossoming between the two of you, and both of you could see it. It made you smile just thinking about him.

Eventually, you came to the set of double doors, the one with a two toned tree engraved into the light wood. Pushing open the light side as you always did, you soaked up the sunshine that greeted you.

Dream was sitting on a thick root sticking up from the ground, fiddling with his cape. He seemed to be nervous, not seeing that you were there. It was adorable, seeing the skeleton so tense. Your heart fluttered. Dream continued to mess with his cloak, face tense. But he must have felt your heart skip as he looked up to meet your eyes.

Was it just you, or did the sunshine suddenly grow brighter?

"(Y/N)!" He chirped, face splitting into a wide smile. Something about it seemed off. But when you smiled back, his own grin seemed to soften. Be more genuine. "I was wondering when you would be dropping by! I suppose that we should get started now?"

The sentences seemed to spill out of him; at least the tension seemed to unravel. You laughed lightly, it was funny to hear someone trip over their words at you. Not in a bad way, but in a friendly way.

Dream, don't think I didn't see you blush.

"Yes, of course," you smiled, sitting down on the floor. A root immediately rose from the ground, lifting you to a more comfortable spot. Lifting an eyebrow, you glanced at Dream.

He scratched at the back of his neck, a habit that you had caught onto. "I suppose that you want to know how that happens?" You nodded, placing the book on a particularly wide spot on the bark. Dream nodded back, only once. "In a way, my mind is connected to the Sanctuary. That's how I can usually pinpoint where you are, and how I can make things move."

To prove his point, he stretched out a hand and summoned his staff. Throwing it across the room, you watched as a root rose from the ground and caught it in midair. You applauded as the staff was returned. The sunshine shone a bit brighter.