Chapter 16: Gold

It's happening

It's finally happening

Are you ready kids!?

Aye aye, captain.

:):

You were jolted awake with a start as something crashed into your bed frame.

Sitting up fast, you instantly regretted it as your vision clouded over with dark spots. Darn you, bloodstream. Running a hand through your hair, you just barely saw a luminescent person (monster? You weren't too sure) giving you a smile. The whirling portal closed with a start, golden sparks flying off the circle as it closed.

Yawning, you looked over the side of your bed to see none other than Dream, staring where the portal had just been. "Mmmmph..." you murmured, rubbing your eyes. The guardian lifted his head jumping a little as you woke the rest of your sleepy mind. He got to his feet as you asked, "Dream? What are you doing in my room?"

It was then you realized how much of a mess you looked like. Dream noticed too, because he blinked and quickly turned around. Did you imagine the blush on his face? He took a few deep breaths before turning back to you.

"(Y/N), please don't assume that I was doing anything... strange in your room," he quickly apologized, fumbling for the ends of his cape. "I was just... somewhere else."

You took note of the Book of Magic, lying dormant at the foot of your bed. You looked back up to him and said, "Where?"

His face was definitely flushed now. It was a delicate shade of daffodil yellow, dusting lightly over his cheekbones and a bit over his nose. "I suppose there's nothing to gain by lying to you." Sitting at the foot of your bed, he looked back longingly to where the portal was. "I don't know what the universe's name even was. But I was there to see the Tree of Life."

Cocking your head to the side, the side of your lips perked up into a smile. "The Tree of... That's really cool, Dream."

He laughed a little, though it was strained and terse. "I met someone there. Corrin. I guess they're related to me in some way, since they knew my..." he swallowed hard. "My mother. I went there to ask them for advice."

You leaned forward, fully awake now. "Like what?"

He pressed his mouth together, like he was sifting through the information in his head. There was obviously something he didn't want to tell you. But there was definitely something he desperately wanted to tell you. You could see it in his eyes and (if you concentrated hard enough) in his aura. For a split second, you felt your SOUL pulse with hope.

Dream sighed before closing his eyes and saying, "What could happen with my brother. What could happen with... you."

It was your turn to blush now. "You're concerned about me?" You asked, immediately regretting it when you saw the worry cross his face.

"Why, don't you want me to be?" He fretted, squeezing the ends of his cape. It was a nervous habit that you had caught on to a few weeks ago. You understood why he'd do it—everyone needed a comfort item at some point or another.

"No, no," you reassured, waving your hands in the air. "I do. That's very... yeah. I do."

He took a deep breath, heat rising to his face faster than a furnace ever could. Clenching his fists around the cape, he looked you directly in the eye. "(Y/N). There's something I need to tell you."

Your heart rate picked up, starting to run a marathon down hope lane. "Yeah?"

He took your hand.

Everything in the world seemed to stop.

"(Y/N)." His voice came out as barely anything more than a whisper. "Do you remember the first time I saved you?"

You nodded slowly, whispering back, "Yeah. I almost got my limbs torn off by Error. That was fun."

He laughed softly, leaning in a bit closer. "I remember looking at your aura and thinking, 'That's a splendid aura. Such full of hope and happiness and overall positivity.' I remember using the sheer power that radiated from your aura to shoot Error down with one hit. You helped me save countless people that day, including yourself."

Dream took a moment to pause dramatically. Then he continued, "I don't remember exactly what I was thinking when I brought you back to the Sanctuary. I didn't know what it was that made me disagree with Ink when he suggested brainwashing to make you forget us. I didn't know what it was that made me trust you so much." He looked up at you with golden eyes. "But now I do."

All breath left your lungs in a single moment. Everything that he'd ever done had been leading up to this.

He leaned in close so that your foreheads were almost touching. The crown on his head glittered a little as he smiled at you. "(Y/N), there's something special about you that I've never seen before. Something wonderful. Something lovely. Something that I thought was worth protecting. And when you got hurt the other day, something else in me hurt a little bit too. It wasn't until I went to find Corrin for answers that I realized that the answer was right in front of my eyes the whole time."

The guardian put his other hand on top of yours, squeezing it with a grip that was both strong and soft at the same time. "(Y/N), I have a confession."

The entire multiverse screeched to a halt. It was like the final key for heaven's gates had been unlocked. Well, the second final.

"I didn't know what this kind of feeling was until you came into my life. I didn't know that sort of elation before you came into my life. I didn't know what this sort of want was like before you came into my life. (Y/N)..." He whispered, pressing his forehead to yours.

"...I love you."

Your heart stopped, then immediately pumped every ounce of blood in your body to your face. Dream didn't stop, although you could feel him shaking through your hands. "I love you so much. I didn't even realize it until you got hurt. I didn't realize how much you meant to me. I didn't know how much I wanted you with me until..."

He trailed off, closing his eyes. You knew what he was waiting for. Tilting your head up so that your eyes met, you laughed, "I do. Of course I do. How could I not love a sweet cinnamon roll like you?"

You pushed your face onto his.

For a moment the kiss felt like it was going to break, but then he leaned back. It was slightly awkward at first, but then you adjusted your angle and oh, euphoria. You'd never felt like this before. Your vision was full of gold. Dream seemed to have the same expression. The kiss was just like him: sweet, pretty, gentle, and full of love. It wasn't harsh like the aggressive kissers you'd see on TV. It was nice and simple, with no mouth action. It was just that: a kiss. Like the Hershey's kind.

Except it was so much more sweet.

When you did break away, your thoughts were all over the place, flying around like butterflies in a field of flowers. Dream looked just as bewildered, eyes bright. Then he started laughed, putting his hands on your shoulders.

"(Y/N)," he giggled, pulling you into a hug. "Do you know what this means?"

"Are we a thing now?" You piped up, still recovering from shock.

He chortled again, saying, "Of course! Of course, but... that also means that I can protect you so much better than before! With the positive energy that we make together, I could make millions of arrows and never get tired!"

You were giggling too, and placed a gentle kiss on his shoulder. "Oh man, that was fun. I'm glad to know we agree."

"Yes," he smiled, then pulled away. His face had settled into a more controlled expression as he leaned back, folding his hands. A new sort of emotion overcame him as he said, "I suppose that I should tell you about myself then."