Chapter 5: Mission

You stared at your (H/L) (H/C) hair in the mirror, deciding what you were going to eat.

After the overwhelming events of the previous days, you just wanted to eat and sleep and never wake up. Except to maybe eat again.

With a yawn, you rubbed your dull (E/C) eyes back to life. Slipping into your sweater, you left the bedroom.

The hallway was as bright as ever—did it ever dim?—as you swept across the floor. The tile was a perfect white, without a speck of dirt on it. Suspicious.

Your thoughts emptied themselves out as you mindlessly wandered the halls. Although beautiful, there was almost nothing to do. Well, nothing but explore, that was.

So you walked on autopilot to the main room—the one with the huge tree. The two toned doors were pushed open as you sloppily stumbled into the room. The pattered light streaming in through the windows  onto the grand tree made a masterpiece that you were too tired to enjoy. Why didn't you just stay in your room and let your body fall back asleep?

Well, it was too late now to fall back asleep. Sitting down on a thick root (had that been there before?), you rubbed your eyes again. Hard.

The world exploded in golden light. Every aspect of the room was coated in gold, the same gold you had seen in Dream.

You nearly fell off of the root in surprise. The yellow light receded, but didn't disappear. Blinking the light away, you heard a door open. A light, delicate voice floated past your ears.

"...(Y/N)? Are you in here?" Dream called into the room. You scrambled to your feet, acting like you didn't just fall off of the tree root.

"Uhm... Yeah," you called back, blushing, brushing off any kind of dirt. "I'm here."

The golden skeleton smiled brightly at you, gliding across the floor to sit next to you. Another root rose to support him as he said, "I know that this probably sounds rushed, and that you're very overwhelmed, but... I have to teach you some things."

After seeing the bewildered look on your face, he quickly reassured you, "Only if you want to. You just... You know a lot now. Almost too much. We had to take you here after Error put a nasty gash in your leg. No hospital would have been able to heal that wound."

Your fingers drifted over the scarring tissue on your thigh. The first time you had awoken it was to red hot pain, all coming from your leg. Dream had done... something to you that made you feel calm and sleepy. Although healed completely (you had no idea how in the world it had healed over the span of two days), you felt a phantom pain where the string had struck.

"...What do you mean, 'I know too much?'" You asked quietly, rubbing your leg.

Dream sighed, shifting his position. "No one should know about this—about any of this. The only people that know this place even exists is me, Ink, Blueberry, and now you. Not even the others—"

His eyes flickered up to you. You bit your lip and dared to say, "Others?"

The skeleton rubbed their forehead. "Yes. I wasn't... I didn't... I wasn't supposed to tell you that but it just... slipped out..."