Lines In The Sand (Are Meant To Be Crossed)

.:. Rating : R .:.

Summary: “Hey,” the Sultan grinned, stretching out a hand that Ryan shook. “Nice to meet you.” He eyed Ryan’s boots, jeans, jean jacket and bandana uncertainly. “Are you in costume?”
A University of Illinois AU.

“Why do I have to go to this thing again?” Ryan asked, pulling his jean jacket tighter around himself.

Spencer rolled his eyes and pressed the pedestrian walk sign to get across Green Street. “Because not going out on Halloween would be pathetic?”

“I had plans with Gabe and Ryland,” Ryan said. Granted, they were vague, and kind of just boiled down to getting stoned in that cemetery off of Florida Avenue, but Spencer didn’t have to know that.

“Hanging out with Gabe Saporta on Halloween? That’s just asking to get your kidney carved out and sold on the black market or your face eaten off.”

It was Ryan’s turn to roll his eyes. He couldn’t deny that Gabe gave off a weird vibe, but aside from the string of broken hearts left in his wake, the guy was mostly harmless. Ryan had even hooked up with him a few times, but was smart enough to end it before becoming another member of the Saporta Lonely Hearts’ Support Group. (Vicky-T, one of Gabe’s roommates, started it last April when she got sick of sopping up the tears of all of Gabe’s jilted former boy-or-girlfriends/fuckbuddies/one night stands. They met at the Espresso Royale in the Union on Tuesdays.)

“Whatever,” Ryan replied. “All I’m saying is that you need to have sex with Jon and get it over with, instead of dragging me to this stupid party. You’re wearing a costume, for fuck’s sake. You haven’t done that since you were a Ninja Turtle in fourth grade.”

James Bond wasn’t the most original costume, but Ryan had to admit that the smooth lines of the tuxedo and the way he slicked and styled his hair suited Spencer.

“First of all, Jon’s parties are not stupid. Second,” Spencer countered, smirking, “what fun would that be?”

Ryan blanched. “Why do I have to watch your weird foreplay ritual? And don’t say threesome.”

“Please,” Spencer scoffed as they turned onto White Street. “He lives in the second building on this side.”

Ryan jogged up the steps, eager to get inside the warm apartment. In Champaign the weather seemed to go from summer to winter overnight, without the buffer of autumn, and by the end of October it was already freezing.

Spencer pressed the buzzer that read Walker/Urie. They didn’t have to wait more than a few seconds before Jon’s tinny voice came through the speaker with the sounds of music and laughter behind it.

“Spencer Smith, it better be you!”

Spencer leaned towards the speaker. “How many people have you said that to today?”

“Today?” Jon responded. “That’s how I answer the door every day.”

“It’s true!” a voice cried out in the background.

“I’m an eternal optimist, Spencer,” Jon said.

Spencer grinned and dipped his head, and it would have been adorable if Ryan didn’t have to see the same besotted look any time they were in a one hundred foot radius of Jon Walker.

“I’m gonna be sick,” Ryan said, and then louder, “Can you let us in, please?”

“Hey, Ryan, glad you could make it,” Jon said. The door clicked open.

“No problem. It should be fun,” Ryan replied, almost against his will. He steadfastly ignored Spencer’s smirk as they made their way through the darkened hallway to the elevator.