Obvious is Synonymous with Oblivious

.:. Rating : NC-17.:.

Summary: Brendon, he had always wished things were simple and pre-decided. He rarely took charge with his own life, instead just trying to let the pieces fall around him. But, eventually he has to decide whether he wants to be curled up on the couch with his best friend, or lying cold in his bed with his girlfriend. 

Going with the flow was always your style, and confrontation is the last thing you ever want. You are meek, due to being socially crippled in high school because of red-rimmed glasses and metal fused to your teeth, and wished things would just take their own course. Some might call you weak, but you prefer cautious.

***

Lying in your dark bed in this dark room seems to swallow you up, gulp down all outer noise and distractions, and all you can hear is the soft rustling of trees outside your window, or the occasional creak of a floor board. It was a strange idea, you think, to agree to this whole cabin situation.

 You lull your head to the side, your girlfriend sleeping beside you peacefully, and an oversized pink shirt covering her petite body. It wasn’t like the band got away from civilization just by renting some adversely stereotypical cabin out in the wilderness. Instead, you all seemed to be in your own little worlds, enjoying your social circlesoutside of the band.

You miss that closeness from the tour, when the four of you would all have to share a small bunk area in a crowded, humid bus. Although sometimes you thought you would go insane, you still loved it, because it was like a family gathering, every night. There weren’t girlfriends, or constantly ringing phones, or people coming in and out at all times; it was like the bands own little sanction.

The room is too quiet you decide. Its quieter than all those hotel rooms you’ve been in, but that might be because at the hotels, Ryan would usually be curled in beside you, whispering something in hushed tones into your ear, or murmuring in his sleep. The bed is too cold, even though there is another human being right there, curled into you just like he would be. Except this being has too many curves, not enough angles, and the features are all wrong.

She stirs in her sleep, and you wonder why, because to you it seems like the air is still, so neither the wind nor noise could have awoken her. She opens her eyes lazily, spying you staring at her, and she smiles loosely. You gulp, your expression rather blank as her frail arms tighten around your waist, and you’re reminded of nights when strong arms would be in their place.

“Cuddle with me,” she murmurs, blinking up as you. And normally, you would have, normally you would have nodded and wrapped your muscular arms around that tiny frame, but right now something else is clawing at your vulnerable mind.

“Later,” you whisper, because if you talked in normal volumes it would seem like shouting. She looks at you questioningly as you slip out of bed; your flannel black pyjama pants snug around your hips. Of course she knows, she knows it’s much too late to be walking around the cabin, but you won’t calm nor encourage her suspicions right now.

Your bare feet pad over the carpet, quietly, and you escape the too quiet room, into the too quiet hallway. It seems as if all you see now is darkness and unspoken words, and it makes your stomach clench uncomfortably as you approach the opening to the living room.

The temperature seems to have dropped considerably, and then you mentally roll your eyes, because duh, you are in a cabin out in the snow infested mountains. As you approach the living room you can hear the clicking of computer keys, and you can see the faint blue glow. Your suspicions are right.

You enter the living room, watching from the doorway as Ryan types away on his laptop, curled up on the couch, blankets and all. You smile, but its hidden, hidden in the back of your mind as you keep your facial expression set to mildly interested. He senses your footsteps and looks up, blank.