You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

Thanks for the song/prompt @thequeenbeatle (Honestly Paul looks like a dork in this gif lol)

This is a longer chapter than normal, but totally worth reading to the end.

--------------------

"No one looks at another person like John looks at Paul," Ringo says, turning to George. They are standing in the middle of the hallway, just between the doors of Pauls and Johns shared sweet, and Ringos and Georges. They are heading to the cafeteria to grab something to eat before they left the hotel. The conversation started in the room when the two started to talk about what had happened the previous night.

"I know, right. If I didn't know any better I'd think that he has a tad bit of a crush on Paul." George answers back, shoving the room key into his back pocket.

"Paul and John, as if." There's a small pause as the two seems to consider it being an actual possibility. "Well, that's something else for another day. Let's go. I'm starving." Ringo then takes off down the hall, and George follows.

John sighs against the hardwood as he takes his ear off of the door.

It was hard enough that he was feeling the way he was, it just made it a hundred times worse when he heard the two even mention anything about it.

The feelings he got from Paul were explosive every time he looked at him. From a hidden pit in his heart that just seemed to ache whenever their eyes meet. To every nerve ending that seems to light a flame whenever they got to close during rehearsal. He just couldn't take it anymore, these emotions mixing together with anxiety and fear. Creating a cauldron out of his stomach making every fingertip and hair follicle skittery at the near mention of Paul. How was it his fault that he couldn't stop looking at Paul when he wasn't paying attention? It's like staring into the sun almost, nerve-racking to look at but almost impossible to ignore.

John sighs and collapses down on the small sofa. The plump cushions seeming to mold his body providing a sense of security.

"How.... how am I going to deal with this?"

"How are you gonna deal with what?" Just then Paul enters the room, almost as if the very words that John muttered summoned him.

"Ah, nothing. Just dumb emotions and the such." John plays it off in a self-deprecating light-hearted way. Sinking into the cushions further, almost as if he could escape into the couch itself.

"Oh?" Paul tugs off his coat and tosses it onto a nearby armchair, right before walking behind the couch. He sets his hands on top of Johns' shoulders, making the older man jump at the action, "Wanna share? I could help y'know."

"I don't think anything you can do can help me," John mutters.

"Codswallop."

John frowns, "Well there's this person I like right? The whole butterflies in your stomach type and I don't know how to deal with it."

Paul removes his hands and walks over to the bed, and sits, taking his shoes off. "John you're a Beatle just go up to 'em and tell 'em. The works nine out of ten mostly."

"Yeah, but there's a problem with that. I can't do that, because they're the same as me. Just saying it won't be enough."

"Oh, another musician? Who?"

John doesn't answer and just looks to the corner of the room.

"Johnny." Paul walks over and plops down on the couch next to his bandmate. Paul touches Johns shoulder lightly.

John sputters internally at the action, not sure yet how to handle the situation. Is now the time? To confess to the years of longing for his best friend? To admit that the only one he wants in the whole world was a pretty little bloke named James Paul McCartney? Pressure starts to build up in the silence and John's face turns red.