Chapter 6

The man's voice was getting louder, and he held up the tin containing the Miraculouses. His arms shook from the force of the wind.

Suddenly, the wind and purple electricity ceased.

The man stiffened. "Something's wrong. I'm missing something." He held up a tablet, and started swiping through a series of photos.

He has photos from the Miraculous book!

"No no no no!" He screamed and thrust down his cane. It landed with a clatter. He turned away abruptly, muttering. "How could I have missed this? I need a person?"

Lise sucked in a breath. Was he talking about a sacrifice? This had taken a dreadful turn!

"We gotta get out of here!" Zoe whispered loudly.

"I know," Lise hissed back. "We should go out that window." Lise grasped her hand, and crept out of their hiding place. They slowly walked past the man, trying to avoid his line of sight. He was still swiping through the tablet, muttering to himself. He seems insane. Completely, totally, undoubtedly, insane. Zoe went first, and hurried over to the window. Lise checked the man for the upteeth time, to see if he was watching, but he was still studying the scanned pages and grasping the tin.

Lise headed over to the window after Zoe, but her foot stepped on something.

It was the old man's cane.

Lise lost her balance, and flailed her arms around. She held out her arms to prepare for the landing, but she crashed into the old man holding the tin of Miraculouses.

She knocked him over, causing him to lose his grip on the tin. His eyes flew open, and his expression was full of panic, and followed the Miraculouses as they fell to the ground.

Lise's hand reached for the tin, trying to prevent it from falling to the floor. It seems important...!

Her hand clasped around it.

A huge electric shock ripped through Lise's arm and through her system. She screamed.

All she saw were flashes of rainbow. They swirled around her, and images from her memories flashed around her.

Her former friend from her childhood playing with her in her room. Zoe ditching her for better friends on the school playground. Her first hamster. The first time she hung out with Nathan and Remy the first day of high school.

But then there were two faces smiling down at her that she didn't recognize. A woman with blue hair and a man with blond hair. His green eyes shone at her.

His face remained imprinted in her mind until the world went black.

——-