Chapter 31

Lise waited outside of Marinette's bakery, staring down at her bright yellow shoes. They were stained with water now, since she had raced to the bakery after Adrien had left to his house.

She held in a breath, looking up at Marinette's balcony, the strings of lights glowing in the dark stormy sky.

Suddenly, she saw her mother walk down the sidewalk towards her.

Alix in a familiar red sweatshirt much too big for her was smiling, holding something in her hands. When she noticed Lise, she looked embarrassed.

"Oh, hey Lise," the pink-haired girl said. She hid whatever she was holding in her sweatshirt pocket.

"Hey M--Alix," Lise said, eyeing the red sweatshirt and the pocket. "Isn't that Kim's favorite sweatshirt?"

Alix looked down at the sleeves, which were too long for her short arms. The ends draped over her hands. "Oh. Uh, yeah."

The corner of Lise's mouth turned a little. "Really?"

"Yeah. Well, it's no big deal. Anyway, I'll see you on Monday first class." Alix started to walk past Lise.

"I'm leaving. For good," Lise called after her.

Alix whirled around. "Really?" She frowned. "Oh. That's too bad. It would've been fun...we could've had some hangout sometime...me and Kim, you and Adrien."

Lise's cheeks turned red. She started to wave her hands wildly. "Oh, no no no. Adrien and I are not happening. Trust me."

Alix shrugged. "It was nice to meet you. I'm sorry to see you go. I hope we see each other again." She hesitated. "Have you been trying to get Marinette and Adrien together?"

Lise shrugged.

Alix's small mouth turned up into a smile. "Cool." She reached out to Lise, and pulled her into a hug. "I'll miss you."

Lise buried her face into her mother's familiar pink hair, feeling a sense of safety wash over her. Longing enveloped her heart, as memories filled her mind of her parents.

I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet my parents--both sets--when they were my age.

It was truly amazing. I now know and understand them better.

"I wish you the best of luck," Alix said, pulling away awkwardly. "Wherever you're going."

Lise nodded.

Alix turned and walked away, curling up her arms into the red sweatshirt.

Lise's heart panged as she watched the petite pink-haired girl disappear around the corner. Every part of her body called out to her mother.

Something flickered in Lise's peripheral vision. She looked down at her feet. Her yellow converses were stepping on a small piece of paper, fluttering in the gentle breeze. Lise picked it up.

She opened it up, and smiled.

Andre's. 9:00pm. Hope to see you there.

-K

Her father wrote love notes? Lise never knew he was that type of man.

"Lise?"

She jumped. Marinette was standing at the entrance to the bakery, a hand poised on the door handle. Adrien's black sweatshirt was partially drenched in the rain. "Did you want to come in? I know my parents might have leftovers--"

"No. No it's alright." Lise looked up at the bakery, trying to memorize the way it looked in all its glory. "I have to go."

Marinette's thin eyebrows furrowed. Her face then flooded with realization. "You mean--"

"I've completed my mission. It's time for me to go home. To my time."

Sadness filled Marinette's blue eyes. "Do you really?"

"Yes. It's been wonderful getting to know you. But there's something I need to do at home."

Marinette nodded. "I understand. And Lise...thank you. For everything you've done for me and Adrien. I know you wanted us to be at peace with one another. We are now. I hope you can put your mind at rest now as you go home."

Lise hugged her, relishing in the soft touch of her friend's--her mother's--embrace. "Thank you."

She pulled away, and headed down the sidewalk.

"Lise?"

The blond-haired girl turned around.

"If I meet you in the future...would you tell me who you are? So I know. I want to remember who you were in my time."

Lise grinned, and nodded.

-----

Marinette watched the girl she wished she could get to know more walk away forever down the sidewalk, her yellow converses making soft patting noises on the wet cement. Her light jacket was steadily getting soaked with each gentle droplet from the beautiful grey sky.

If only she could stay...she dared to hope.

No. She belongs in her time. I belong in mine.

Marinette tried to keep her gaze on the blond-haired girl as long as she could before her friend became too small to see.

Suddenly, a pang of realization struck her.

I will know this girl. Somehow. Sometime.

And she will be amazing.

-----