Chapter 7

PART II—Warped

"Some steps need to be taken alone. It's the only way to really figure out where you need to be." --mandy hale

september

She felt hot.

The arm that had held the small circle tin felt like it had been charred, and every time she breathed, her chest ached.

Lise opened her eyes, and examined her surroundings. She sat up painfully.

She was still in the same room, but the rays of sunlight was beaming down onto her. It was morning. How long have I been here?

She scanned the room.

Zoe and the man were gone.

So were the caskets of people in the shadows.

The only thing in the room was a podium with a thick book on it. Lise cradled her injured arm, trying not to look at it, and walked over to the book. She flipped it open.

Realization struck her like a whip. This was the same book she had found in the bakery! She had left it in her room! How did it get here?

The drawings of Ladybug and Chat Noir were still there, but they didn't seem as faded.

A machinery noise erupted from the shadows. Lise gasped, and hurried to the back corner, away from the sunlight. She hoped that whoever came in wouldn't think to look there.

A tall, slender man in a white suit and red tie appeared from above on a small circle platform, in the same way Lise and Zoe had fallen through the hole, but much, much more graceful. His pointed white hair shone in the sunlight as he walked over to the book on the podium.

Lise held her breath.

But the man didn't seem to notice her as he flipped through the pages. "What am I missing," he muttered. "I must be missing something."

Lise squinted her eyes.

That man. With his black glasses, pristine white suit with red tie, and his really nice jawline...he looked so familiar from her history books...

She gasped.

Gabriel Agreste! The famous fashion designer!

Her breath caught.

Hawk Moth himself.

———