Ch 3: Morning Struggles

Alannah

The next couple days were interesting. Wanda had convinced me to try and be part of the team more. Ever since we got here I was more reserved than her,and she thinks it's about time I start socializing.

Line Break

I walked into the kitchen one morning for breakfast. Steve and Loki were the only ones on there. While I could tell the others still weren't thrilled about Loki being here, they were being much kinder toward him.

"Morning Lay." Steve greeted as I walked in. He had started calling me that in casual conversation. I liked it, Alannah seemed so formal. It was a good change.

"Mornin." I told the two men. They both looked whose awake, much different than myself. My hair was a mess, I wore an oversized t-shirt that I had stollen from Steve, and shorts that I stole from Nat.

I sat down at the counter and grabbed a piece of toast off of Loki's plate. "Is that my shirt?" Steve asked.

"Not anymore."

"You do know there is plenty of bread, and a toaster. You can make your own food." Loki told me as he tried to grab the toast from me. I just dodged his hand.

"Why would I do that when I can eat what you all ready made."

I stood up and moved so I sat between Loki and Steve. They both moved their plates away from me. I groaned.

"I hate how awake you are. Both of you." I sat down next to the super soldier.

"You know it's only 6:30. You could still be sleeping." Loki informed me.

I shook my head. "Not an option."

None of us said anything. I think everyone at least assumes I have night mares, but they don't know how bad they are.

They are always so vivid, so intense I can't go back to sleep. And I almost always wake up with a headache afterwards. I flopped back on to Loki's lap.

I closed my eyes for a minute, trying to force away the pain in my skull.

It didn't work.

"Lannah, are you ok?" The god of mischief asked me, concern in his voice. I tried to sit up and he gently laid his hand on my shoulder. "You don't have to get up."

I stopped trying to get up, it used less energy to lay here. "I'm ok, really."

"Yeah. And that's why your laying in his lap and 6:30 in the morning with pain on your face." Steve commented.

"I'm fine."

"Then you will be fine to get out of my lap?" Loki questioned.

"In a minute."

Neither of them said anything else to me about it. They went back to taking about whatever they were talking about before I came in. I didn't listen, and soon enough I was asleep.

Loki

When Lannah sat down I could tell she was in pain, and when she layed her head on my lap she looked relieved for a moment. The pain came back, but it wasn't quite as bad. When she fell asleep I looked over at the captain.

The man laughed, quietly as not to wake her. "I think your stuck there."

"She really is a strange girl, isn't she. I mean the day I arrived, she was almost silent. Her gaze was hard, and even when she took me to my room she barley said a word. Now she steals our food and sleeps on my lap?"

"We don't know that much about her to be honest. HYDRA, the group that took your septor, kidnapped her when she was young and gave her powers. We know she has telekinesis, but not sure if she has anything else.

"She has mainly kept to herself the last three weeks. Wanda said she would talk to her and try to get her to be more open. So now we have moments like this," he motioned to me, "and sometimes she is still cold and closed off. We figure she has pretty bad nightmares and that's why she doesn't get a lot of sleep. But one thing is clear, she can sleep just fine on you."

I laughed as Rogers finished his explanation. Everything he said lined up with what I had seen. Her powers explained the blue spark I saw the first day. We sat in silence until Tony came in.

"Rock of ages, what's going on here?" Me and the captain both shushed him.

"We think she woke up from and nightmare and couldn't go back to sleep so she came in here. Then she fell asleep. Nothing is going on." Riggers explained.

"Now I'm going to put her back in bed before anyone else comes in and wakes her up." I picked Lannah up bridal style and carried her to her room.

One problem. Her door is locked.

I sighed and walked down to my room. I told Friday to open the door and I lied the girl on my bed. I placed a blanket over her, and moved a strand of hair away from her face.

My hand lingered on her soft hair for a moment, and then I left to join the others.

If y'all haven't noticed I'm updating on Tuesdays. Please comment and tell me what you think of the story.