[7]

[SEVEN]

"If you go I'll stay. You come back I'll be right here. Like a barge at sea, in the storm I stay clear. 'Cause I've got my mind on you. I've got my mind on you."

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"I'M — I'm scared I'll throw it up."

Conflict collected in Jaehyun's eyes and Taeyong's head tilted down, looking at the blanket he was holding shamefully.

A silence of contemplation on one side and embarrassment on the other swallowed the room whole until Jaehyun spoke up. "Hey, it's okay. Do you mind that I ask why?" he inquired quietly.

Taeyong nibbled on his lip, feeling an unwanted cloak of sheer vulnerability rest upon his shoulders. "I — I threw up so much that— that night and—" he swallowed harshly, the lump in his throat sliding down into his esophagus in a horribly painful way. "And I'm scared. I don't know, I know it's dumb and stupid and ridiculous but—"

Jaehyun shook his head. "No, it's fine Taeyong. Listen, that's not going to happen this time, alright? They got all that medicine out of you," he reassured softly, gazing at the smaller sadly.

Taeyong pressed his lips together. "It hurt my throat so much, Jae. It felt like it was bleeding — I was throwing up blood. I'm scared that it will still hurt and— and—" Tears trickled down his cheeks, his breathing becoming uneven. "I'm just scared."

Jaehyun didn't seem to know what to say. He was clearly pondering something, which made Taeyong already feel like there was poison in his stomach and destroying his liver. He bit his lip, then finally said, "I understand that your— you're scarred from what happened, but Tae, it's not the same situation. Stop tricking yourself into thinking it is. This time you have a perfectly fine stomach that can handle what you put in it. I don't want to force you to drink or eat, but just know that if you do, it'll make a lot of people really proud and happy; it— it will make me really happy."

Taeyong ran his fingers through his brown hair, staring at the cup in front of him — it wasn't even food, it was a liquid, he told himself — he could do it, right?

It will make me really happy.

Taeyong's face burned a deep shade of pink as he put the hot chocolate to his lips, taking a small sip of it. The liquid was warm, thankfully not too hot, and tasted so sweet that it kinda took the boy off guard. He hadn't tasted something with actual flavor since his first arrival as inpatient. He remembered loving sweet things like ice cream, pastries, and drinks — never really was a candy person — prior to his life being almost flushed down the toilet, but now, on an empty stomach and with a mouth that tasted only of really toothpaste, it almost was too sweet. But he liked it, even though he wouldn't have wanted to admit that.

He flickered his gaze up to Jaehyun, who had a feverish smile painted on his lips and a sparkle in his galactic eyes. Taeyong looked away sheepishly as Jaehyun questioned, "Did you like it?" Taeyong nodded, still feeling embarrassed for whatever reason. "How do you feel?"

Taeyong pondered that last inquiry. His throat felt a little better and hydrated, but in a subtle manner, and he didn't feel near as nauseous as he did with no taste in his bitter, dry mouth. His stomach did not feel of anything — it just felt normal, which was shocking to the boy.