[13]

A/N - before we get into this chapter, I wanted to mention if you don't have a dorky, weird sense of humor like I do, my books may not be the ones for you lol yikes

And this song ^ right above here, is something that everyone should listen to. I don't think inserting it into this particular story is such a bad thing :)

[THIRTEEN]

"Hello. I know we haven't talked in quite some time. I know I haven't been the best. Hello, I've been traveling in the desert of my mind and I haven't found a drop of life. Haven't found a drop of you. I haven't a drop, I haven't found a drop of water."

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

THE breeze was a bit strong that day, but the sun was bright and radiant and called strongly for spring and warmer weather. There was not a cloud in the sky and the flourishing leaves hung on tree branches shook gently in the wind. It seemed so picture perfect that it was nearly laughable, considering the fact an individual would be returning to a place he frequently labeled as 'a living hell' for the first time in awhile.

"Stay strong, I'll see you after school hun." His mother gave him one last kiss on his temple. He scrunched his nose, but nodded compliantly. "Love you."

Taeyong squeezed the strap of his heavy book bag, smiling small for her sake. "Love you too, Mom," he said before exiting the car.

The sun rays basked his skin in warmth and illuminated his presence, almost akin to a hug when he most needed it. He convinced himself today was going to be bad, because that's just what Taeyong does, but the only choice he had was to get through it somehow.

The boy went onwards to the glass front doors of the school, distracting his anxiety by kicking a small rock on the way. Before he knew it he was already there, and accidentally bumped into a chest above him. Taeyong clumsily took a step back and his sharp eyes flickered up defensively, but they softened when seeing Jaehyun.

"Hi there. A grand entrance, that was," Jaehyun chimed, making Taeyong scoff a little to hide a smile. "Watched you the whole way. Nice footwork."

"Oh, be quiet," Taeyong chided, stepping aside from the boy to actually walk inside the high school. Jaehyun followed suite and quickly caught up to him, and then they walked side by side, the silence prodding Taeyong to speak his mind. "I didn't actually expect you to wait for me since I have to be here early today," he said quietly as they made their way down the hallway.

The shorter's eyes flickered around the school, heart beat picking up its rhythm. Right now it wasn't as scary, because all the other students weren't here quite yet, and maybe because Jaehyun was standing next to him (though he swiftly disregarded that idea from his head).

But he still was intimidated; things felt different now. Extremely different, and Taeyong didn't know how to deal with it. It almost was surreal, like he wasn't supposed to be here again. Each step he took felt daunting, and each breath inhaled was sharp. His heart began to beat faster.

"What, did you think I would just ditch you?"

Jaehyun's voice rattled Taeyong out of his mind. Taeyong averted his gaze to the taller, and then thought, ah, this is another reason why it feels so different. It felt strange and also terrifying that Jaehyun was the only one in school, other than maybe the people at the office and the principal, that knew what happened to him.

This boy, that had been his closest friend for so many years, now held a huge secret inside his hands. And Taeyong had to trust him to keep it—he had to push out the thought of Jaehyun telling someone, because they weren't the same they used to be now. And to not share that strong bond, but still hang a huge event onto the string that connected them, made Taeyong's stomach twist in knots.