Chapter 1.

i.

"Felix! Wake up for school, now!" Walter's voice cut through the silence, shattering the peace that once resided over the Hardy apartment. A tumble of objects could be heard from the bedroom down the single hallway in their two bedroom apartment. The door groaned open, and for a couple of seconds it was silent again. A small gray cat slinked from the open door, gracefully walking down the left side of the hallway towards Walter, rubbing its face against his legs while purring.

Walter bent down, intent on scratching the creature between its ears, however when his hand got close the cat "meowfed" and hopped away, fleeing into their white furnished living room. Walter's eyes raised when a light flicked on and he saw the briefest glance of his sons shadows before the door slammed closed. He chuckled as the water squeaked on, turning to finish making breakfast for the both of them.

He placed a glass of orange juice on the table as the water squeaked off in the bathroom. He hummed a tuneless song while scrambling eggs, his mind wandering to his plans tonight. When he turned he jumped a little, his son sitting at the table, the glass of orange juice in one hand, and the Daily Bugle in the other as he sipped, brown eyes poring over the page as he did.

"You remember you have gymnastics at-"

"Six." Felix said, looking up at his father through dampened brown locks. "Ballet at 4:30, and tomorrow I have kickboxing. I know." He took another sip as his father approached the table, a plate of eggs in hand.

"And I'm working tonight so you'll have to make dinner." Walter took a drink from his coffee. Felix nodded, taking out a section of the newspaper and handing it to his father, who took it with a hum. "First day of High School! Are you excited?"

"Isn't it every 14 year old's dream to be in high school? Top of the food chain last year, bottom of it this year?" He finished his cup of orange juice and stood. "Did you do more work on our device?"

"On my device that you're modifying?" Walter corrected, half-heartedly chewing a piece of egg. "Yes, but I still don't think the springs are strong enough in the boots. Plus it gives them a bit of a high heel type of look."

"It's the only way to get enough tension in the right spot to be controlled, without adding a whole new platform." Felix countered.

"Maybe a whole new platform is necessary." Walter shrugged.

"It's less aesthetically pleasing."

"Aesthetic over function?"

"It functions fine."

"We can't settle for fine, Felix. Lives are at risk." Walter seemed to be getting more irritated.

"Who's life depends on spring-loaded boots exactly?" Felix asked, annoyance in his tone.

"Enough, Felix."

"Why? Who are the boot's for?"

"I said enough!" Walter yelled, causing Felix to retract. The older man realized his mistake, and his gaze softened, but the damage was done. "Felix, I-"

"I have school. I'm gonna go." The youth stated, his brown eyes closed off. He offered a thin smile before turning his back on his father. "Bye."

***

"And there he is!" A body collided with Felix, throwing the boy off balance as he walked into Midtown School of Science and Technology. He managed to keep from falling, turning to look at his energetic friend, Corven. "The new king of the school! The black sheep! Tha main- oof!" His words cut off as an elbow dug into his abdomen. "Man." He managed to gasp out, gripping his stomach.