Chapter 3.

Felix jerked awake, his eyes unfocused in the dark. He reached for his bedside table, finding the glasses there and securing them to his face. It was still dark outside, and his alarm clock read 4:52 AM.

He still had 8 minutes to sleep, 38 minutes if he didn't mind his dad yelling at him, and almost a full hour if he didn't mind something being thrown at him.

He grumbled, throwing the blankets off and flexing his legs, pointing them as far as he could and leaning back on his bed to stare at the roof. He was about to doze off again when a loud thunk! jerked him back awake and he sat up in his bed.

He stared at the crack in his door and saw a dark figure walk past it in the hallway light. Frowning ever so slightly, he rose and frowned more at his sore muscles. His ballet instructor as well as kickboxing teacher had both insisted on him going through more rigourous training. With auditions for The Nutcracker and fighting season around the corner, and with Decathalon now added to his plate, he no longer had the option to increase the amount of sessions he had, but rather the intensity of each one.

He took quick, careful steps to his door, peering out of his room and into the hallway, gently opening his door. He could hear someone talking down the hallway. His father? As the door was almost wide enough for him to slip out of it gaves it signature groan and the talking stopped, footsteps coming towards the hallway.

"Felix?" His father's voice called, softly, and his cat, Rainboots, rushed out of the room and down the hallway and into his fathers arms. "Awww, who's a good kitty?" Walter cooed, rubbing the cat behind it's ears as he turned, returning to his conversation on the phone. "It shouldn't be a problem, it's an easy enough job." He assured the gang leader known as Hammerhead.

"For the infamous Black Cat," the gruff voice sneered his name. "It shouldn't be."

"You know the payment is required up front yes?" Walter placed the cat down, walking towards his room, he peeked his head into his son's room, taking note of the sleeping figure in the bed and closing the door more so the light wouldn't wake him. Felix never got up when he had to, and sometimes even then he wouldn't be awake.

"Payment will be sent on the completion of the job." Hammerhead was afraid he was going to fail. Walter was insulted as he opened the door to his room.

"You want the Black Cat to do your dirty work, then you pay him upfront." There was silence on the other end. "Or maybe the jewels will just steal themselves! Hey I've got an idea, Have all your thugs go in and shoot the place up! See if that works!"

"Payment will be sent within the hour."

"Good shark." Walter cooed, and hung up the phone, walking out of the room and down the hallway. Halfway down he looked down at his phone and realized the time. He wheeled around and nudged Felix's door open, feeling like it was wider than he had left it open. "Felix I have work so I need you to be up and ready to go yourself this time." The figure in the bed didn't move. Rainboots meowed from a spot next to his pillow and hopped on the "figure", causing it to collapse inward. Walter frowned and walked towards the blanket, throwing it back to reveal nothing. The blankets had fallen in a position to make it seem like someone had been sleeping against the wall like Felix. Or had they been arranged? Walter wheeled around once again and rushed out of the room in time to see his son walking out of his room. He steadied his breath as he stared at Felix, who stared back at him calmly. "What're you doing in my room?"

"What're you doing in my room?" Felix countered, raising a brow and tip-toeing to see over his shoulder.

"Trying to wake you up." Walter crossed his arms over his chest and squinted. "Now you?"