Chapter 4

What kind of a sister am I?  I promised my little brother I'd keep him safe. I promised him I'd protect him. I told him that just a few hours ago. I lied to him. Because then I let him get kidnapped. I failed to do the one thing I was supposed to do as his big sister.

My eyes, sore from crying, suddenly flutter open, as though I'd just woken up from a nightmare. I sit up on the sofa, rub my eyelids and look around. It's already day and I can't hear the Mixed from outside anymore. I pray to God it's gone.

Daylight is shinning through the window, brightening up the room. I try to get up, but sharp pain slashes through my forearm and my leg.

The bite on my arm isn't so bad, but I need to wash it, or else I might get an infection. God knows what kind of diseases the Mixed carry around. I just hope I'm not too late.

My leg however, is a different story. The cut is pretty deep, but I'll just have to grin and bear it. I don't really have a choice.

I take a bandage out of my backpack and split it in two parts. Then I remember the river and decide to wash my wounds there.

Before heading to the river stream, though, I quickly pack everything, including the tuna can that I found yesterday. I pick up Mr Dino and stare at it for a second, wondering how the hell I will find Mikey. Then something on the floor catches my attention - a flyer. I pick it up and read it.

The Monster Slayers. The Gladiators.

We find the Mixed and our Gladiators kill them, so you can live in a better, safer world.

It's the best entertainment in the world, just for you.

We entertain you AND make the world a safer place for you.

The price is whatever you can bring.

Come watch our show in New York.

I remember the inscription on the car yesterday. It said 'The Monster Slayers; The Gladiators.' Even though it was dark and I couldn't see clearly, I assumed the car and the bikes that took Mikey were the same as those that took that woman, the man and the girl. The Monster Slayers AKA The Gladiators. And it says on this flyer that they have a show in New York. So that's where I'm going, I decide in my mind. It's a long-shot, but it's the only chance I've got. It's also quite a few days of walking, but I have no choice. I have to go and I have to make it there. I'm the only chance Mikey's got. And I am determined to save him. I will not make another mistake.

I put the flyer in my pocket, and I put Mr Dino and the other stuff from Mikey's backpack into mine. We travel light, so it's not too heavy.

I head to the river, and when I arrive, I wash both my wounds and bandage them with what I've got. It'll have to do; for now at least.

When I start walking, I'm also limping, and it hurts a bit, but I have to keep going. I don't push it too far, I go slow. I know my leg wound probably needs further treatment, but I don't have that luxury right now. I have to set off and stay focused on getting to New York as fast as I can. 

Maybe I can find someone who knows how to treat the wound, in a nearby town. Or maybe not, because that way I'd just be risking my life. People can't be trusted these days anymore. You never know whether they want to kill you and steal your belongings for themselves or if they're just straight up insane from the radiation or simply the circumstances. I mean, our horror movie-like world makes people go crazy, no radiation needed. Without Mikey, I've got no one to keep me sane either, so I might just go coo-coo myself. No, I have to keep my head straight so I can find and save Mikey first. I've got a mission and I will carry it out till the end. I have to. Even if it's the last thing I do in this cruel, dreadful, broken world.