Chapter 15

I gape at Rick in disbelief and feel a sickness in my stomach. I tried a few pieces of the meat and it was good, but if it's from the Mixed ...

''They are abominations that were affected by the radioactivity. How can you eat them? You don't know how their meat will affect you,'' I say, still shocked. I hope it doesn't affect us, after just having eaten it.

''Yes, I know, I know, you think it's dangerous because they're the deformed offspring of animals that were affected by the radioactivity. But I assure you, there's nothing to fear. We've been eating their meat for months and we're perfectly fine,'' Rick says.

Yeah, except you're a bit wacky and insane, I think to myself.

''Why don't you just hunt normal animals?'' Asks Benson.

''Do you know how hard it is to come across a normal animal around here? There are a lot more Mixed out there. More than enough,'' Rick answers.

''How do you catch them? I mean, the Mixed are extremely strong and fast,'' I point out another mystery that I want an answer too.

''We have our ways,'' Rick answers mysteriously and winks at me. Of course he isn't giving away any effective way to catch and kill the Mixed. Typical.

''We even use their feces and sometimes their raw meat to fertilize our garden. It smells terribly sometimes, but it's worth it. We've discovered that it makes the plants and vegetables grow much faster and bigger, too,'' He adds.

''What? So these vegetables are ...'' I say and drop my fork, even more disgusted by the fact that I'm eating food fertilized by the Mixed's feces and their corpses. I'm hot even hungry anymore, I would actually rather throw it all up.

''Are you crazy?!'' I almost yell. Now I've lost my table manners. I mean, for God's sake, these people are eating the Mixed's meat and vegetables that were fertilized by their corpses and their feces. We have no idea what the Mixed really are or what they're made of. We don't know how or even if the radiation infected them, we just assume it. We have no idea how it could affect us, but I'm almost sure it would. And not in a good way.

I am still very appalled, but when Dylan shots me a worried look, I realize I was a bit too aggressive. We don't want trouble with these people. We don't know how they've been affected by the meat of the Mixed and what they're capable of. We have to tread carefully.

I lower my voice and say politely: ''You shouldn't be eating their meat and fertilizing the vegetables. The radioactivity could affect you in a bad way or even kill you. You don't know what it could do to you.''

''Well, we appreciate your concern, but I assure you, we're fine. We've been eating like this for months and we're still alive and well,'' Says Rick.

I'm more concerned about us, than them, and what they might do to us, but I nod and say: ''Well in that case ... maybe it's not so bad.''

''Not at all. It's great actually. And it's all thanks to my husband. He came up with this amazing idea,'' Says Deborah and looks at him, smiling preternaturally.

The way that they're looking at each other is weird. It's almost like two animals are communicating with nothing else but eye contact.

I'm starting to see the consequences that the consumption of the Mixed's meat has left on them. I look at Deborah's almost-too-perfect skin for her age. I notice the kid's too wide eyes and smiles and the dark bags under their eyes. They stare at us quietly and bizarrely all the time, smiling so widely that I'm sure their lips and cheeks are beginning to hurt. They barely blink. The only normal one seems to be Rick, but even that is questionable. The way he's looking at his wife and kids, giving them glares from time to time like an animal, is strange. They all look crazy to me now.

Before I can say anything that would indicate we want to go to our rooms, Dylan spares me the embarrassment and anxiety and says: ''Well, I think we're all full. Thank you for this amazing dinner. It was lovely, but I think we're all pretty exhausted. We'll retreat to our rooms now.''

Ricks head snaps back towards us and his eyes look at us suspiciously. I hold my breath thinking he might actually attack us like an animal or something. But he regains his kind posture and smiles again. He gets up and says: ''Of course. You rest well now. We'll see you in the morning.''

His last words sound more like a threat than a kind remark of farewell.

We all slowly get up, giving each other worried, freaked-out glances. We head for the stairs and once we reach them, we almost start running for our rooms.

Dylan stops us before we go to our separate rooms and whispers: ''I knew these people were too kind. It was all too weird and creepy. We're leaving first thing in the morning, got it? Be ready at first light.''

Everybody nods. They all listen to him. I told him he's still their leader and I was right. He always will be. In situations like these, they'll listen to him and follow him. There's no question in that.

When they all leave, he pulls me aside and says: ''Hey, are you gonna be okay alone? I'm just worried they might try to hurt us. You.''

I have to smile at the worry in his eyes and voice. It's so sweet. One day ago he wanted to leave me, now he won't let me out of his sight. If only I understood him.

''I'm gonna be okay. Don't worry,'' I tell him.

''When it comes to you, Tay, I'll always worry,'' He says and holds my hand, caressing it.

''I'll be fine, Dee, really. If I need anything or something happens, I'll come to you, okay?'' I promise him.

He nods and slowly kisses my cheek. His lips linger on my skin for a moment, sending a tickling sensation down my spine. Then he turns around, leaves and takes all the warmth, all the safeness, all the calmness with him.