Chapter 6 - Bridge collapses leaving several people dead as the prisoner elopes

Spivey Point - Chapter 6 - Bridge collapses leaving several people dead as the prisoner elopes

It was just after 9.30 am when John finally arrived at the county jail,he immediately made his way to the sheriff's office where he was greeted by Hank Davis who was Dirk's deputy.

"Hi Hank isn't Dirk in today?",enquired John,Hank nodded his head before presenting a piece of paper to John.

The note read that the prisoner had been discharged at approximately 8.30 am this morning due to a lack of evidence

"Lack of evidence !" John exclaimed in a frustrating voice,"that monster has brutally murdered two young women and is plaguing this town with his malevolence",John said in an angry tone.

He demanded to know who's decision it was to release Jacques Dupont as it was a matter of urgency.

"I'm sorry the sheriff has been called away due to a serious incident I doubt whether he will be back before lunchtime.

John knew he was wasting his time there and decided to walk to a nearby office were he would make several phone calls to get to the bottom of this new development.

He turned on his Phone Tune in app to listen to the local news and there had indeed been an incident at Greyfriars bridge.

He was horrified to learn that the bridge had collapsed during the rush hour and that scores of motorists were feared dead or badly injured.

The report was a bit sketchy and an investigation was now underway as to what had caused the bridge to have collapsed.

He tried to call his wife but all he got was the answering machine,suddenly it felt like the whole town was falling apart at the seams

Then suddenly he received a text from Dirk, the sheriff was requesting him to visit the disaster scene.

John didn't hesitate to respond and made the short journey by car to the said location,it was like a scene out of disaster movie.

Final destination springs to mind or maybe the mothman prophesies all of those years ago.

John pulled into a verge near to where the front of the bridge was standing,it was quite clear what had happened,the suspensions or girders had snapped and with it the middle part of the bridge collapsed into the frozen river below.

It was absolute carnage,the river was littered with cars,vans,Lorries and even a school bus.

Lord knows how many people had perished probably dozens or more than a hundred.
The sheriff was arranging a press conference with ABC and Fox News were already on the scene.

"Dirk what the heck happened here?,it's complete chaos,John said with a tremble in his voice.

"I've no idea why the bridge should just buckled like that but as they say - shit happens",this isn't really in my jurisdiction as it's happened outside my area he said.

John allowed the sheriff to speak to the press and knew his turn would come as he was employed as the local town mayor.

Immediately a reporter had spotted John and was making a beeline for him,he couldn't escape his responsibilities any longer as a microphone was shoved under his nose.

"Well Mr Anderson what can you tell us about the relief effort,has the coroner been called,how many of the bodies have been identified and have the relatives been notified?,the reporter asked.

John didn't really know what to say as he had only just arrived on the scene but he replied in his dignified way.

"Look it's too early to say how many people might have perished here and we just have to let the emergency services deal with it,right now the body count is 52 but this is expected to go up as there were scores of people on the bridge in the early morning rush hour,the families of the deceased will be notified in due course,thank you,he said.