Chapter 4 Morgan Brody

Chapter 4

Morgan Brody

    The harsh chill pierced against my flesh. My hair twirled and tumbled around my face, as the black clouds seemed to race across the sky. I squinted my eyes and peered straight ahead, barely able to make out a black hooded figure. In front of him rested a beaten down man on his knees. A mix of blood and dirt streamed down his face.

    “I warned you, Andre,” the creature in the hood hissed, raising his wand. “You had your chance to join me.”

    I tried to move forward to help but my legs would not move. I turned my head desperately searching for someone who could help Dad. Where is my mother?

    Voldemort’s deadly tone began, “Avada…”

    “NO!” I screamed in a panic.

    I woke up feeling the wetness on my skin. Slowly sitting up, I wiped the beads of sweat off my forehead. I rubbed my eyes and glanced at the clock, seeing it was almost noon. After I changed into my baggy shorts, I headed downstairs and heard my mum talking in the family room. I recognized the other voice to be my aunt’s.

    “So things are going to be different this year,” Aunt Becky was saying. “After all, she’s growing up.”

    What are they talking about? I wondered, as I slowly strolled down the steps.

    “Well, it’s not like she has to meet a boy in that school,” Mum said. “After all, there are plenty of nice boys right here in this neighborhood.”

    I stopped at the third step to the bottom. Part of me wanted to walk in a stop this conversation right here and now. The other part wanted to turn back around and go to my room, pretending I didn’t hear anything. Seriously, what was with the sudden interest in boys?

    Aunt Becky said, “I see, but I think at this stage in her life its more practical to be with someone who has similar interest and goals and…”

    Her tone dropped when she realized I had walked into the room.

    “Hi Aunt Becky,” I said quietly. “I thought you weren’t coming till the end of the week.” 

    She smiled, warmly. “Well, hello, Melanie.” Aunt Becky glaned over at Mum and asked her, “Should I be the one to tell her?”

    Mum huffed and shrugged. “I suppose. This whole thing is your arrangement.”

    I began to feel uneasy. Based on their conversation I overheard, I’m not certain I’m going to like where this is going. After all, I’m only a year older. Why are they all treating me so different?

    “Melanie, I already spoke with your mother and we decided you will come stay with your uncle and me sooner this year?” she explained with a smile.

    I sighed with relief. This was much better than I expected. Though when I glanced towards Mum, I could tell she was not entirely on board with this idea.

    Aunt Becky appeared mildly alarmed by my failure to respond. “I would’ve thought you’d be happy, Melanie?”

    “I am,” I said quickly, stepping towards her. “I’m just surprised, that’s all.” I glanced at Mum again and asked, “How did you two decide this?”

    Mum sipped her tea and said, “Well, your aunt said something about some sport game they wanted to take you to…”

    “That would be the Quidditch World Cup she is speaking of,” Aunt Becky interjected.