Chapter 5 - You know what they do to guys like us in Belleville

Many interesting conversations later, Gerard received a phone call from his mother, who was more than worried about her son being out at this time of night. Frank and Gerard had got so lost in their own fantasy world of being best friends with Glen Danzig, they had completely lost track of time, as Gerard picked up his phone from the coffee table, he almost screeched at the digital clock on his home screen. '21:43' it read, far too late for a teen to be anywhere but home in supposedly the most dangerous neighbourhood in Jersey. He sighed and braced himself for the lecture he was clearly about to receive when he answered the call. 

"Hi mom, look I - " 

"Look you nothing, where on earth are you? I've been worried sick! You know how I don't approve of you being out this late, with all the creepy people that hang around this time of night. You could be getting murdered for all I know!" Gerard would love to say his mother is over-exaggerating, but it really wouldn't surprise either of them. Probably 9 out of 10 families around here own a gun of some sort, just for their own protection. 

"Mom I'm safe, calm down! I am old enough to understand how to protect myself you know! And I made a new...friend, his name is Frank, I'm at his house just up the road." 

Mrs Way sighed rather loudly down the phone, "Well, I was just making sure you were safe, I want you home in half an hour. And be careful walking home, stay away from alleyways..." 

"Okay mom I'll be careful, see you later -" 

"Half an hour Gerard, I mean it." With that, she ended the call. 

Gerard looked around at his new friend sprawled out at the other end of the sofa with his ankles resting on Gerard's knees and his hands supporting his neck. Frank noticed he was being stared at and gave a small smile, "what did your mom say?" he questioned. 

"I have to be home in half an hour." Gerard replied, an obvious tone of sadness in his voice. Frank pouted for a moment, then caught a slight smile, grabbing Gerard's phone from the arm of the sofa, leaning over and almost landing in Gerard's crotch as he tried to steady himself. After a few clicks of keys, Frank handed the phone back to Gerard. 

Gerard took a look at his screen to find 'its frnk xo' in his contacts list. "Why are your literacy skills still at a first grade level? Where's the apostrophe? And the capital letters? And do you not like the letter 'a' or something?" Gerard chuckled at his friend, who just shrugged. 

"Vowels aren't my thing, they're too feminine. And I can't spell for shit, never have, you know when I was a young boy, my father asked me to make him a card for father's day, and I wrote 'happy farter's day, you are the best farter in the world' inside, because I was an innocent child who couldn't spell father." Frank beamed, and Gerard failed to stifle his laughter. 

"Okay then... But how can you determine the gender of a letter? Do you have superpowers or something? Are you the alphabet batman?" Gerard asked, trying to act interested in the most serious tone he could use without bursting into tears of humour.  

"I wish I was. No, you know when you get singing lessons, and to get the appropriate pitch they make you sing vowels like 'ayyyy' 'eeeee' and 'ooohh' and if you have a female teacher especially, they demonstrate it with the highest voice they can, it just sound like it would be a really cute girly girl as a human. Get it now?" Gerard nodded in understanding. Frank sure was imaginative, if nothing else.  

Soon their humorous times was forced to a halt and Gerard had to get going, saying goodbye to his newfound friend and receiving a hug from him, he left Frank's house and began to walk a silent journey back to his home, wanting nothing more than to crawl into his cocoon of cotton bed sheets with his various sketchbooks and pencils surrounding him.

A/N -- I realise that not all vocal tutors are like that by the way, mine's actually really nice!