Chapter 17

It was the day before my birthday and Katie and I were walking through the park. It was only when we sat down that I remembered where we were, "Isn't this the spot where we first talked to each other?" I asked.

"Yeah, it was at this spot where I realised that we met for a reason and that was to be a family. So, I called Colin and after a very short conversation we decided that we wanted to adopt you," She explained, I have to admit Katie does know how to make you feel special and loved even when you've grown up not knowing what it was. She pulled out a present.

"What's this?" I asked as she handed me the gift.

"A birthday present," Mum replied

"You know my birthday isn't until tomorrow, right?" I said, confused at the present.

"Think of it as an early birthday present," she said as I pulled off the wrapping paper to reveal a new sketchbook and pencils, "I noticed your other sketchbook was getting full and I know you don't like colouring pencils so I figured-" she was cut off by me hugging her.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"Your welcome," she replied, "Now, what do you want to do for your birthday?" she questioned.

"I don't really feel like doing anything, I mean I've never really celebrated it before. When I was with Joseph he would beat me more, and we never really celebrated them at the homes nor the foster homes I was placed in," I explained. The reason why I never celebrated my birthday or told very many people was that it brought back memories that I'd rather leave be. 

"Right, we are going full out for your birthday this year," Mum declared.

"You really don't have to, I'd rather just have a small family dinner out, or something," I answered, while Mum got up.

"Come on, we've got one more stop, before we head home," She said. I picked up my presents and placed them in my satchel and jogged to catch up with Katie.

After about a half-hour walk we came to an all too familiar neighbourhood. "Why are we back at the orphanage?" I questioned, Mum didn't answer, "Wait! You're not sending me back are you?" I asked worriedly, I started hyperventilating. What if this is the end of the line? Am I going to be abandoned again? The day before my birthday? God, Clem, you're such an idiot why couldn't you have just dealt with the pressure. Now I'm being sent back!

"Clem, breathe," Mum said, holding onto my shoulders, I couldn't get my breathing under control, I started grabbing my throat in panic, "Clemmie, you need to breathe, in... and out... in... and out..." I started taking slower, deeper breaths, "I'm not sending you back. I just need to speak with Mr Kenner. that's all," 

"Really?" I said still trying to focus on my breathing.

"Really," she answered. "Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, I just get all panic-y when people take me back here that's all," I explained. Mum nodded in reply. She knocked on the door. After a few moments, the door opened.

"Clemmie? Oh my god, Clemmie!" Blue screamed as she flew herself at me

"Oh my god, Blue!" I screamed in reply.

"Come one we've got so much to catch up on," she yelled before grabbing my wrist, I barely had a chance to look at Mum before I was dragged up the stairs to her room.

Katie's POV

As Clem was dragged upstairs by, I presume her old friend, Mr Kenner came out of his office."Good afternoon, Mrs Morgan," he said.

"Hi," I greeted.

"How can I help you?" he asked.

"Actually, I was wondering if I could talk to you, it's about Clemmie,"

"Sure, come on in," he gestured for me to enter his office.

Clemmie's POV

"What's it like? What's America like? What's your room like?" Blue started firing questions at me, as soon as I sat down on her bed like there was no tomorrow.

"Blue, slow down, we're not eight," I chuckled.

"I know, I know. I just what to know what it feels like to be adopted,"

"It's... amazing. But..." I looked down, ashamed of what I was about to say.

"But... What?" Blue asked, concerned. I sighed. Blue was one of the very first people I trusted when I was placed into the foster system.

"I've just missed you, that's all," I said trying to pretend like I was fine.

"I missed you too," she replied hugging me, "Hey, I got you something," she said getting out a small box.

"Blue, you didn't-" I began.

"Shh. It's your birthday tomorrow. I was gonna ask Mr Kenner to send it to you, but you're here," She said handing me the present. I opened the box to reveal a love heart locket.

"Blue... It's beautiful. Thank you," I said hugging her.

As I came downstairs Mum was coming out of Mr Kenner's office. I really hope she didn't tell him about the whole Joseph incident, "Hey, kiddo, you ready to go?" she asked, I nodded in reply. As we got closer to the door I had an idea.

"Wait. Blue, do you think you could come over and stay with us tonight?" I asked looking between Mum, Blue and Mr Kenner.

"I'm okay with it. If Mr Kenner is," Mum replied. We all looked at Mr Kenner.

"Sure, I'll drop her off around seven, if that's okay?" he replied.

"Yes!" Blue and I said together.

Later on that evening me, Mum and Dad were watching Tv when the doorbell rang. I shot up from the sofa and raced to the door, "Mum! It's Blue!" I called, as I opened the door. Mum walked to the entrance hall.

"Hi, Blue," she said as Blue entered. Se waved to Mr Kenner who was waiting in the car before driving off.

"Good evening, Mre Morgan," Blue said as she shook Katie's hand.

"Please, call me Katie. Have you had dinner, Blue?" Mum asked.

"Yes I have, thank you," she replied. Blue and I headed up to my room, "Nice place you've got here," Blue commented.

"Thanks, I'm still getting used to being back here," I answered, causing Blue to give me a confused look, "I've only been back a few days. I've been living in North America for the past two months, filming, remember?" I explained.

"What? You've got an  acting job!" I laughed a bit, and nodded in reply at her outburst, "What's it called?" she asked.

"Supergirl, I play a minor role in season 5, but I'm stopping after we finished filming," I explained. Blue and I caught up over the next few hours, however, I decided not to tell her about the Joseph situation.