Chapter 18

Ten years ago.

Luke came and picked me up from primary school. "Hey, squirt, happy birthday," he said as I ran up to him hugging him.

"Is daddy picking us up?" I questioned.

"I think so, how about we go see if he's here?" I nodded frantically pulling Luke with me. I spotted a black Audi with my dad standing outside.

"Daddy!" I screamed as I sprinted to him.

"Whoa, slow down kiddo," he said as he opened the door. I jumped in and fastened my seatbelt.

"Can we go to  a restaurant for dinner?" I asked.

"Sure," daddy said smiling back. He sat in the driver's seat and Luke sat in the passenger seat. He pulled away slowly and continued to drive that slow for a while. 

"Daddy, Faster! Faster!" I yelled.

"Faster?" He questioned as he put his foot on the pedal and sped away, not slowing down at all. I gripped onto the side of the car and so did Luke. It was like someone had flicked a switch. I glanced over to see six empty bottles of beer in the back footwell.

"Dad, slow down!" Luke said warningly.

"Live a little you brat!" daddy spat back.

"Daddy, slow down!" I yelled from the back seat, clinging for dear life. All he did in reply was laugh, but not in a fun way. In a scary way. What he didn't see was a busy junction ahead as he looked back. Meaning he didn't see the truck coming from the side. The truck collided with the side of the car flipping is over. I was jolted around my seat. The next thing I knew the car was on its side and my dad was trying to get out. "Luke," I tried to call for my brother. "Luke!" I called again. no answer I looked for my brother and saw him lying on the road, covered in blood. "LUKE!" I screamed.

[END FLASHBACK]

I woke up gasping for air. I looked around my surroundings to see I was still in my room, I looked at my clock 4:30. Great! Calm down, Clem, it was just a dream, breath. It was ten years ago. I got up and got changed. I put on a pair of jeans and put a jumper over my pyjama top, Grabbed my satchel and left a note on my dresser that read: 'You know where I'll be.' I headed downstairs as quietly as possible, trying to not wake the dogs. I left another note for mum and dad that read: 'Gone for a walk, Blue knows where I am. Don't worry, I'll be back before you wake up. C xxx' . I took a house key and quietly shut the door behind me, locking it. I made my way to Kensal Green Cemetery and sat down opposite a grave that said: 'In loving memory of Luke Christopher Hunter Feb. 2. 1994. ~ Nov. 14. 2009. Beloved brother.'  I usually end up here every year, sketching or trying to forget that horrible day. I never seem to cry, though. We did celebrate birthdays in the homes, it's just that I didn't want to. It was too painful. I usually stayed in my room. The foster home directors learnt very early on that if anyone tried to make a big deal or something of the day I would lash out. I just hope that doesn't happen today. Usually, I would have school, and no one would know I was there, let alone make a big deal. 

I looked at my watch which read 7:30. Crap. I got up and packed away my sketchbook and pencil, I laid a stone on my brother grave, "I'm so sorry," I whispered. I walked back home still trying to get the image of Luke and the flashback out of my head.

Katie's POV

I came downstairs, let the dogs out and went over to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee when I noticed a piece of paper on the side. 'Gone for a walk. Blue knows where I am. Don't worry, I'll be back before you wake up. C xxx' I placed the letter back down, "You're late," I muttered I looked at the clock 7:15 she must have gotten up very early to be already out. Colin came down about ten minutes later. He also noticed the note, he showed it to me, "I know," I said.

"How is she sneaking out without us even knowing?" he asked.

"I'm sure she's got a valid reason. But... it also gives me time to arrange her surprise for later on," I said wrapping my arms around his waist and giving him a peck on the lips, before starting to make breakfast. A couple of minutes later Blue came down.

"Morning Mr and Mrs M," she greeted.

"Blue, I said you could call me Katie," i said serving pancakes onto plates.

"Sorry," she apologised.

"Do you know where Clem is this morning?" Colin said waving the note in the air. The girl looked a little awkward at this question.

"It's not really my place to say, but she usually just has to clear her head. She'll be back, she didn't run away if that's what you're suggesting," she said sitting down at the table. 

We started eating in silence, when Colin asked, "What kind of name is Blue?" I elbowed him in response.

"It's more of a nickname that Clem gave me and it kind of stuck, I guess. My name is legally Skye Dawson," the girl explained. 

Just as we finished eating I heard the door latch go. The dogs went berserk and I popped my head around the corner to see who it was, it was Clemmie, but she seemed really down. "Sweetie? Are you okay?" I asked walking over. She nodded in reply.

"I'm not very hungry I think I'm just going to get ready for later if that's okay?" she said.

"Yeah, sure," I replied as she walked up the stairs.