Chapter 2: Separate Ways

"Peter is that you?" a voice called from the kitchen.

I couldn't help but jump, I didn't think anyone was home.

"Yeah its me." I called out. 

I listened as gentle footsteps echoed throughout the apartment.

With a flick of a switch the lights turned on to reveal a woman in the doorway.

"Hey there Tiger." She greeted.

"Hey MJ." I sighed as I tossed my mask on the bed.

Mary Jane Watson. We met at NYU during our freshmen year. She was the first girl since Gwen that I genuinely  had feelings for. She was headstrong and extremely stubborn at times but she was the one. We decided to move in together shortly after graduation. At first it seemed like a good idea, but our relationship had become strained due to the fact that I came home injured time to time. 

"Are you bleeding?!" She exclaimed as she ran to my side.

"Yeah I ran into O'Hirn today." I sighed as she guided to the bed. 

"I saw you fighting him on the news today." She stated as she helped me peel off my suit. 

"Yeah he escaped from the R.A.F.T. today." I explained.

"How?" MJ questioned.

I honestly could not answer her question. 

"I'm not sure MJ. The R.A.F.T is supposed to be inescapable. " I sighed. 

Mary Jane shook her head in disbelief. 

"It doesn't make sense." She stated as she got up and went into the bathroom.

"I'll have to investigate tomorrow, maybe Davis knows what happened." I explained.

I watched as MJ turned on the bathroom light and dug around in the cabinets.

"You should rest." She stated firmly.

"You know I can't do that MJ." I sighed. 

"I know." She huffed as she pulled out a first aid kit from the cabinet. 

I watched as MJ then wet a rag and rung it out in the sink. 

"Pete there's been something I've been meaning to talk to you about." She stated.

"What?" I asked as she sat beside me on the bed.

MJ was hesitant for a moment.

"What is it MJ?" I asked again.

She then lowered her head towards the wound on my shoulder. 

"Mary Jane what is it?" I asked once more. 

She sighed as she gently dabbed my wound with the rag.

"I can't do this anymore Pete." She whispered. 

I felt my heart drop. 

"What do you mean? If this is about the blood I know I told you this wouldn't happen again-" I tired but she quickly cut me off. 

"-But that's the thing Peter! It did happen again! And it will keep happening as long as you're Spider-Man!" She cried. 

Mary Jane looked up at me with tears in her eyes. 

"MJ...." I trailed as I held her face in my hands and gently stroked away her tears.

"I know that when we agreed to be together that there would have to be sacrifices, but this?" She stated as she gestured towards my injury. 

"I can't help this Mary Jane this is who I am!" I exclaimed.

She jumped slightly at my raised voice. 

"Peter I love you too much to see you like this! Always coming home in pieces! What happens if one day I can't fix you?!" She shouted. 

"MJ I'm fine, I've always been fine." I sighed.

"You call this fine?!" She cried.

I shook my head at her as I stood up and walked into the kitchen.

"What are you just going to walk away?" She asked from the bedroom.

"I don't want to talk about this MJ." I sighed with impatience. 

"Fine!" She shouted.

I listened to her rustling around from in the kitchen as I looked into the fridge. When she appeared again she has a suitcase in her hand. 

"I think we need sometime away from each other." She stated.

I closed the fridge and then turned to her. Tears welled in her eyes as she gripped the handle on her suitcase. 

"MJ c'mon don't do this." I begged.

"Let me know when you 'DO' want to talk. I'll be at Aunt Anna's." She firmly stated as she opened the front door and left.