Chapter 3: Together We'll Change the World

Three Weeks Later...

"You're late Peter." 

"Yeah sorry Doc got held up in traffic." I lied as entered the room.

I had been interning with Doctor Otto Octavius for awhile now. He was a remarkable man with a plan to change the world. Since my graduation from NYU we had been working creating a robotic interface that could correlate between mind and machine. Our most recent project focused on connecting a veteran's nervous system to one of our prototypes.

"I was worried that you would be late for the fitting Parker." Doc Octavius stressed. 

"I wouldn't miss this for the world Doc, after all of the work you've put into this-" I started before he interrupted me.

"-All the work 'WE'  put into it Peter, after all without your idea on using carbon fiber as a lighter component we would never be doing a fitting test as early as this." He commented.

"Thanks Doc." I stated as I slipped on my lab coat.

"Now let's go change the world!" Doc exclaimed.

I couldn't help but admire the doctor. In the short time I've been with him he has taught me so much. Without him I would have never been able to further develop my suit. His break through work of spectrograph methods gave me the opportunity to create an interface between my suit and a spectrometer. The relationship gave me the ability to easily read wavelengths in order to manipulate signals, which comes quite in hand when doing some Spider-Recon. 

"Peter Colonel Jameson is waiting." Doc stated as he gestured towards the door to the testing room.

"Be right there I just want to run diagnostics first." I stated.

"Fair enough I will walk Colonel Jameson through the procedure." Doc said as he left the room. 

As the system ran its diagnostics I looked around the lab for a moment. The Doctor's desk sat adjacent to me, cluttered as always. On top of a pile of papers was a black folder with sliver lettering that spelled out OSCORP.

"Oh no." I whispered under my breath. 

In the years of me being Spider-Man almost all of the 'Super villains'  I had faced over the years had been products of OSCORP's attempt at changing the world. The Doctor and I had left OSCORP to continue our ethical work here....without funding.

I lifted the folder from the pile and opened it. Inside was a prototype model of OSCORP's Genali Device. 

"I've seen this before." I thought to myself as I quickly whipped out my phone and took pictures of the documents. 

"Diagnostics complete Prototype 1 cleared for testing." The computer chimed. 

After I returned the folder to the Doctor's desk I then unplugged Prototype 1 from the system. What we had created for Colonel Jameson was a way for him to feel complete again. The Colonel had fought bravely in Iraq and lost his arm in return. Our device would hopefully give him full mobility and reaction time from his brain to his arm.

When I entered the room Doc was just finishing up explaining the procedure to the Colonel.

"Its very simple. We put the prototype on your arm and secure it with this brace. The nerves in your arm are still very functional there's just no arm there to register them. This device myself and Mr.Parker created should be able to register the nerve signals you're sending from your brain, thus giving you the ability to move." He explained.

"Sounds good Doc. Fire her up." The Colonel joked. 

"Peter if you would." Doc stated as he gestured towards the Colonel. 

I approached the Colonel and rolled up his sleeve. I then placed the prothetic in place and adjusted the brace. 

"We will start with small movements in the beginning. Try to close your hand for me." Doc instructed. 

I watched in awe as the Colonel was not just able to close his hand once but multiple times.

"Doc! Are you seeing this?!" I exclaimed.

"We did it Peter!" Doc shouted. 

The Colonel smiled as he watched his 'hand'  open and close.

"This is amazing Doctor." The Colonel stated.

"This is only the beginning Colonel soon we'll have you juggling if you wanted to!" Doc laughed.

"Haha sounds great Doc." The Colonel beamed. 

After that the Doc was in high spirits. 

"Peter we've made a huge break through! This is fantastic our sponsors will be so pleased. With a discovery like this they'll have to give us more funds." Doc explained. 

"They'd be crazy not to Doc." I laughed. 

"I've been so appreciative of all of your hard work here Peter. I understand that you were offered a paid position at OSCORP." Doc revealed.

"Yeah, but I couldn't work for a place that only cared about profit. Here we're actually doing something Doc." I explained.

"You're right Peter. Together we'll change the world. Once the sponsors give our project more funds I'll be able to pay you the salary you deserve." Doc explained. 

"I'm not here for the money Doc." I laughed. 

"I know that but you think I haven't noticed you sleeping here Peter. Did MJ kick you out again?" Doc inquired. 

"Its complicated Doc." I laughed uncomfortably.

"A steady income will get you back on your feet, and maybe you're own place." Doc teased as he tossed me my backpack. 

"Now get out of here, take the rest of the day off to celebrate while I contact the sponsors." Doc suggested. 

"Will do Doc." I chuckled as I left the lab.