Chapter 7: Tragedy

"The chargers are under the hostages?" I inquired.

He just nodded his head yes in response.

Almost instantly my spider sense went of the rails. I quickly kicked open the nearby door and zipped into the next room where the hostages were being held. 

As I swung into the room I saw a group of police officers with flash lights. Hammer Head's goons were cuffed and sitting on the floor. The hostages were still tied up and gagged. 

"Wait!" I shouted as I swung in but it was too late. 

I watched as one of the officers pulled one of the hostages up. Almost instantly all of the charges went off in a hot and bright light. The sheer power from the bomb blasted me back.  I felt the weight of the building collapse on us all. 

"Spider-man! What's going on?!" I heard Davis question in my earpiece before it all went black. 

***********************************************************************************************

"Let's check over here! Bring the dogs!" A voice shouted through the darkness. 

There was an enormous amount of pressure on my chest. It was so difficult to breathe. I was buried alive underneath all of this debris. 

Above me I could hear dogs barking. Minutes later the concrete slab that pinned me down was lifted off of me. Light poured in to reveal a fire rescue team and their search dogs. 

"Hey its Spider-man! Let officer Davis know!" The fireman shouted.

I sat up and felt instant pain in my ribs.

"Try not to move. You had a whole building on top of you." The fireman said as he dropped down beside me.

"Occupational hazard." I laughed as I stood up.

"Seriously take it slow." He sternly said as he watch me ignore him. 

"Have you found the others?" I asked.

"No not yet. What happened?" He inquired.

I placed my hand on my side to feel my ribs. Some of them were clearly broken. 

"Great. MJ would kill me if she saw me now." I chuckled to myself. 

"I need to see Officer Davis." I stated as I climbed out of the hole with the fireman.

When I emerged I could finally see all of the damages. The entire building I was just in was completely demolished. There was no sign of the hostages or the other officers from earlier. Fire and Rescue had created a perimeter to keep civilians back. Behind the tape a crowd had gathered.  Officers maintained the perimeter as the Firefighters searched through the rubble.

This was bad. Real bad. 

I swung over towards the gathered officers to find Chief Davis.

"Spider-man you're alive?" Chief Davis stated in relief.

"Takes a lot more to kill me fortunately." I laughed.

As I laughed I winced in pain. 

"Are you alright?" Davis asked.

"Never better." I stated through clenched teeth.

"What happened in there?" He asked.

"It was a trap. Hammer Head knew we would come. He set charges underneath the hostages. I tried to warn the other officers but it was too late." I explained. 

"I'm sure you did everything you could." Davis sighed. 

"Jeff! Dad!" Voices shouted from the crowd. 

Both Davis and I turned our attention to the crowd behind the barricade. 

"Rio?! Miles?!" Davis called back. 

I watched as a woman and a younger boy climbed over the barricade. The officers standing post let them pass and lead them to Chief Davis.

The two ran to him and embraced him. 

"Mi amor estas bien?!" His wife, Rio, asked him.

"Yes I'm alright dear." He laughed.

"Good because if you weren't I'd kill you!" She exclaimed. 

"Mom that's a bit redundant." The boy sighed.

"I'm alright you too, I've got Spider-man on my team remember?" Davis laughed as he gestured to me. 

The boy turned to me with big eyes. 

"He looks beat up." The boy stated. 

"Miles don't be rude!" Rio exclaimed as she mouthed sorry to me. 

"No worries, he's right. I've looked better." I laughed. 

"I didn't mean it like that! You just look like you've been through a lot." Miles tried. 

"Don't worry kid we straight." I laughed as I gave him a fist bump.

He returned the fist bump with a huge smile. 

"Chief I'm gonna help Fire and Rescue find the others, you go be with your family." I instructed as I webbed back to the pile of debris.

For the rest of the day I help lift and web up chunks of concrete in hopes to find survivors. Deep down I knew that a blast that strong would wipe out any normal living person. It took hours until we found them all. There were no survivors.